Aquaforest Oceanguard 435 Build

Chris.sturgis

Officer
BRS Member
Finally stepping up into a larger saltwater tank after starting with an Evo 13.5 and then WB cube 20. New tank will be delivered tomorrow! Pictures to follow.

Equipment list currently:
2 AI Hydra 32
Maxspect 6k DC Pump
RO 150s Skimmer
Prism ATO
Inkbird wifi heat controller with 300W heater
Redsea DIY Lid
Going to buy either 2 Nero 5s or 2 MP40s
Dosing pumps tbd

Tank is in!
39DFF77C-278B-43DF-8A75-430F87C3E069.jpeg
D129FE6E-2B41-40AC-A2FD-30E7F9C45776.jpeg

So excited to see one of these! I've been wondering about the AF tanks. How do you feel about the build quality, etc so far?

@ChrisV Build quality is excellent so far, Silicone job is clean and the cabinet is very sturdy since it comes preassembled. Sump is a little small but i knew that going into it. I think I might delete the ATO section and incorporate into the rest of the sump and just have a external ATO reservoir.

@ChrisV Build quality is excellent so far, Silicone job is clean and the cabinet is very sturdy since it comes preassembled. Sump is a little small but i knew that going into it. I think I might delete the ATO section and incorporate into the rest of the sump and just have a external ATO reservoir.
Awesome

I am on the fence of whether to buy a hydros system or a apex system. If I were to get the hydros I would get the x4 package. If I were to get the apex I would spend a little more and just get the new pro. Thoughts?

I am on the fence of whether to buy a hydros system or a apex system. If I were to get the hydros I would get the x4 package. If I were to get the apex I would spend a little more and just get the new pro. Thoughts?
This channel has excellent review videos comparing and contrasting the various controllers. I suggest watching their GHL vs Apex series because they may not have as detailed of a breakdown between Apex and Hydros-- so watching the GHL comparison will at least get you thinking about the attributes of the Apex.

FWIW, I recently bought a controller and even though Apex just released the new pro model, I opted for the full feature version of the A2 Apex.

This channel has excellent review videos comparing and contrasting the various controllers. I suggest watching their GHL vs Apex series because they may not have as detailed of a breakdown between Apex and Hydros-- so watching the GHL comparison will at least get you thinking about the attributes of the Apex.

FWIW, I recently bought a controller and even though Apex just released the new pro model, I opted for the full feature version of the A2 Apex.

I'd 100% say don't watch the super biased opinion of that series. We had him on a as guest speaker and he crapped all over GHL. He sells Neptune products. I told him that I had GHL new in the box and he told me to return it, that they're garbage. Thankfully, I didn't listen to him. My experience with the Profilux p4 has been great thus far.
The way I look at it is, you get what you pay for. German engineering at it's finest. Go search up all the European reefers and how amazing their systems are, you definitely will not see Apex on them.

This wasn't meant to crap on any particular brand, but my personal experiences in dealing with people who drink the kool aid.

Here's the video with Vinny:

Have a watch, Derrick clearly doesn't really understand the GHL ecosystem.

Little suspect, that the video is unplayable but works on YT.

I'd 100% say don't watch the super biased opinion of that series. We had him on a as guest speaker and he crapped all over GHL. He sells Neptune products. I told him that I had GHL new in the box and he told me to return it, that they're garbage. Thankfully, I didn't listen to him. My experience with the Profilux p4 has been great thus far.
The way I look at it is, you get what you pay for. German engineering at it's finest. Go search up all the European reefers and how amazing their systems are, you definitely will not see Apex on them.

This wasn't meant to crap on any particular brand, but my personal experiences in dealing with people who drink the kool aid.
I really didn't benefit much from his commentary, but it was useful to see the "how GHL does XYZ" vs. "how Apex does XYZ." I don't know why this always becomes such a heated topic.

Little suspect, that the video is unplayable but works on YT.
I'm pretty sure that youtube's algorithm counts views differently if they are viewed on youtube, especially if they are found via a search on the youtube website. Having managed a successful 10K subscriber youtube channel in the past, I can tell you that one becomes a slave to the all mighty algorithm. It's why Reefbum needs to ask people to "like" his live streams. These things make a huge difference in terms of how youtube presents your content to potential viewers.

I really didn't benefit much from his commentary, but it was useful to see the "how GHL does XYZ" vs. "how Apex does XYZ." I don't know why this always becomes such a heated topic.
I agree, whatever works, works. If xyz controller is better than abc, that's fine. I just personally can't stand biased information. Plenty of useful information on a variety of controllers out there.

I agree, whatever works, works. If xyz controller is better than abc, that's fine. I just personally can't stand biased information. Plenty of useful information on a variety of controllers out there.

Totally agree. And they are basically all better than no controller, when used carefully. (And they can all crash a tank if used carelessly!)

Been a little bit since the last update but things have been progressing well except for a nitrate spike that threw a monkey wrench into the mix. Black Friday has gotten the best of me but has definitely benefit my tank. I decided to upgrade my sump to a trigger sapphire 34 since I hate filter socks (had to make some modifications and broke through a wall to add the sump). Also I have added ozone and have a Aqua ultraviolet 25w Uv sterilizer on the way. Now I just have to address the wire management….
CA4C5008-F7B5-47F4-B8CC-E3A91283D09A.jpeg
C40CB5F0-ADDE-4213-89EE-4A4406CA5C6C.jpeg
B092EF3E-F184-494C-9FC9-25BE3A84539B.jpeg

Back