Aquascape dryrock set

cablez

Non-member
So I have learned, that if you take super glue, and sprinkle it with baking soda. It will set the glue up in a minute, so rock hard, and it becomes formable. I have never seen other reefers try this. I have no dry rock to try this, but I use it in other applications and it works. So essentially "tack" your pieces in key areas, with the superglue baking soda sprinkled.

So I tested it out....hella strong bond after 1 minute. This was with rocks wet from my sump. I was able to vigorously, and forcefully able to shake the hell out of the piece in a video too.....The baking soda makes the cyano glue...aka super glue instant set, it makes a chemical reaction that hardens the glue. You can make "instant set spray" Like the one BRS is selling for 7.99 the same way. I havent really tried this method....but don't see why it wouldnt work. Here is the recipe.....stop paying 800% mark up on something you can make for literally cents. Also baking soda isnt gonna really mess with ur reef paramaters that much to be honest. Oh ya that recipe :::::::: Just mix 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda into 1/4 cup of purified water

Attachments

• Message_1634741488767.jpg
    Message_1634741488767.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 225
  • Message_1634741596242.jpg
    Message_1634741596242.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 212
  • Message_1634741579985.jpg
    Message_1634741579985.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 214
  • Message_1634741665897.jpg
    Message_1634741665897.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 216
  • Message_1634741638894.jpg
    Message_1634741638894.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 215
Looks interesting. So do you superglue and then let the rocks cure in baking soda/water solution? Or mix baking soda/water into the superglue? If 2, what’s the ratio of superglue to “hardener”

dude I put glue where attachment joints were, sprinkle on baking soda and then around the joint you just made add more glue, and sprinkle/spray the solution......just like the regular insta set. But I personally did the powder...

Cool! Do you prefer sprinkling dry baking soda over the glue, or the instant set baking soda solution?

Cool! Do you prefer sprinkling dry baking soda over the glue, or the instant set baking soda solution?
I did the powder version, it gives you about 20 seconds to mold it in and push it tight into the pores of the rocks, so it bonds hella tight.

Also I used this trick on Acrylic, I cracked the U tube for my HoB overflow.....I spread superglu over it, sprinkled baking powder over it...instantly set, and I had water running thru it to my sump again in 2 minutes.....The crack was the length of almost the entire U tube also. Literally this process saved my reef, because I would have been screwed if my overflow was dead.

I did the powder version, it gives you about 20 seconds to mold it in and push it tight into the pores of the rocks, so it bonds hella tight.
Does it also bond to your fingers? Are you shaping with some tool?

Does it also bond to your fingers? Are you shaping with some tool?
Probs can use dollar tree clay shaping tools from hobby department....or gloves......I use my fingers....yes it does bond.....O_O Goo Gone takes it off tho....also a dollar tree purchase.....literally your aqua scape tools, and supplies can be all dollar tree. Glue, goo gone, shaping tools, baking soda, vinyl gloves, I would use both liquid and gel super glu. The liquid can be used to squirt up inside areas where baking soda is, under the piece and will bond. :D. Try it out on small pieces if you have some laying around man. It's pretty fun.As a matter of fact just grab some stones from your back yard....test it out.....see the tensile stength, and you can even test it over time with 0 detriment to tank stuff......Even try bricks....same porosity as your live rock to be honest.

Probs can use dollar tree clay shaping tools from hobby department....or gloves......I use my fingers....yes it does bond.....O_O Goo Gone takes it off tho....also a dollar tree purchase.....literally your aqua scape tools, and supplies can be all dollar tree. Glue, goo gone, shaping tools, baking soda, vinyl gloves, I would use both liquid and gel super glu. The liquid can be used to squirt up inside areas where baking soda is, under the piece and will bond. :D. Try it out on small pieces if you have some laying around man. It's pretty fun.As a matter of fact just grab some stones from your back yard....test it out.....see the tensile stength, and you can even test it over time with 0 detriment to tank stuff......Even try bricks....same porosity as your live rock to be honest.
Alright, I'll bite. Will give it a try this week!

Alright, I'll bite. Will give it a try this week!
Great, please do.....Bulk Reef just did a massive push for NSa or whatever gimick thing is this year.....where they are pushing the glue, and gels hard......I know this works almost the same, if not better. And its a fraction of the cost. Is it exact? I have no idea....But could it save you $50? in glues, and "glu sets" That we can get for pennies?? Hell yea. So this is why I posted this, I was honestly gonna try and Vend it in out local community for $2 a bottle, and maybe the powder by the gram, for "Aqua moulding" Because this does the same step as BRS method, less steps. The baking Soda filla in the glue areas, it can be formed and molded, u can even then shove in sand, all in the same step. And it bonds hella tight. Save $$$$$ here people, We know baking soda is reef safe, as is the glu.

Crazy glue or cyanoacrylate is actually non-toxic when cured. If you have a decent hobby shop in your area check out the "Zap" line by Pacer products. You can buy it in thick gel like viscosities in the green or yellow labelled bottles. They also make "Zip kicker", a pump spray accelerator who's mist immediately cures the glue on contact. Way less mess than using baking soda and the thicker bodied versions are easy to control where the glue runs to. The thin water like versions make a heck of a mess if you're not careful. One word of caution if you do use baking soda though! Avoid the vapors and fumes when it comes in contact with the glue, it will burn and sting your eyes. I've also heard some folks have allergies to the fumes and there is actually a version called U.F.O. or "User Friendly Odorless" that minimizes these fumes.

Crazy glue or cyanoacrylate is actually non-toxic when cured. If you have a decent hobby shop in your area check out the "Zap" line by Pacer products. You can buy it in thick gel like viscosities in the green or yellow labelled bottles. They also make "Zip kicker", a pump spray accelerator who's mist immediately cures the glue on contact. Way less mess than using baking soda and the thicker bodied versions are easy to control where the glue runs to. The thin water like versions make a heck of a mess if you're not careful. One word of caution if you do use baking soda though! Avoid the vapors and fumes when it comes in contact with the glue, it will burn and sting your eyes. I've also heard some folks have allergies to the fumes and there is actually a version called U.F.O. or "User Friendly Odorless" that minimizes these fumes.
I use this process in another hobby of mine. I havent had issues other than glued fingers :D:D:D. You can make a set spray similar to the one you mentioned for regular super glue from the Dollar Tree........4 oz rodi 2 teaspoons of baking soda....shake it like a polaroid picture for several mins.....BOOM baby! you got insta set spray

So I used this to fix my Ait frier......one of the plastic attachments where the handle screws in broke clean off......I added some dollar tree gel super glue to both the bottom of the piece i was gluing, and to the piece I was gluing to. Placed it where it had to go, sprinkled on liberally baking soda. Added a bit more glue to fill in the "gap" where the plastic broke, added more baking soda....was dried after a minute to the pint I was picking the whole basket up by the glued on nob. Some things I learned is, the chemical reaction can get hot, and its best to use gloves, a tooth brush or something of the like is nice for getting more baking soda into the joint, and it forms the glue a bit. Because the glue becomes almost epoxy like for 20 seconds, moldable shapeable plyable. Then Chemically bonds. :D

Back