Aquaspin test accuracy - vs Hanna and Trident results?

PamBrent71

Non-member
Just had a water sample run thru the Aquaspin tester at LFS. Alkalinity reading made no sense, showed 6.5 while the Trident tester showed 8.57 while Hanna showed 9. Hanna tests are almost always about 0.5 higher than the Trident does (even after calibration).

I tend to think that 2 testers with close results are more likely to be right but then again when you pay for info you tend to trust it more. Has anyone else tried the Aquaspin service and found it questionable on one result? I am wondering how to act on the info (if Hanna and Trident showed 6.5 I would be bringing that up).

Really?
They have had many issues with reagents and that test in the past.
Personally I just test alk manually. Very easy to do, and several kirs are very accurate.
Personally I use Elos.
I like that I push a button and get a number, and if I retest the same sample I tend to get the same number. :: Shrug ::.

Idk.. I did manual water testing for 23 years before getting Hanna and now I'm a total Hanna fan. I test so much more frequently now that I'm not comparing to a freaking color chart.

I should add that I don't use the more painful ones, like calcium. Nothing that requires dilution or filtering the sample with a syringe filter before measuring.

My personal opinion about Aquaspin is that, it is good for fish only tank. The accuracy behind this colorimetric testing just not going to cut it with color changing chemicals pads.

2 or 3 years ago, a device that never reach the market that using similar technology (only a lot more advanced, also has a color wheel) could not solve the accuracy of alkalinity test. They have to use pH and CO2 level in the water to “calculate” alkalinity, but in reality, alkalinity is a lot more difficult to “calculate”.
Just to be blunt, this device is ok for fish only saltwater tank, just like those $10 testing strips that promise to test 10 parameters on one single dip.

For the good old debate about Alkalinity test from Hanna vs Trident, Hanna use colorimetric testing, Trident actually use titration testing, by definition, titration is the gold standard to get accurate alkalinity level. That is why despite the complexity needed for automatic titration alkalinity testing, all automatic alkalinity testers on the market use titration method. Despite they can use colorimetric testing in those machines and make it 100x simpler, they still choose titration method.
But on the other hand, hanna alkalinity tester is ok to use. Dkh at 8.6 and 9 are basically the same.

Back