ICP Test Results and Questions

Mike Lemming

BRS Member
Hello Guys,
I recently posted about my issues with Alkalinity in the fact that I can't seem to control my alkalinity in my tank with a very minimal alk demand.
I got my ICP test back yesterday and Boron is high. Based on a couple articles that I have read including Randy Homes Farley's paper. It seems that Boron is present in most alkalinity buffers and since I have been dosing alkalinity with minimal results, maybe this is the reason? (Current ICP below)
Is boron anything to be worried about?
I have an NSA aquascape and since I started the tank, I feel like there has been issue after issue that I've never really had to deal with. Do you think the Cyanoacrylate glue that I used to connect the rocks scape may have a negative effect on a reef tank long term?
Unfortunately, nothing on this ICP test jumps out at me as anything majorly wrong with my tank other than the "high" Boron. Maybe a little too much Silicon in my RO?
I'm sure there is a more qualified, more experienced reefer on here that can decipher this better than I.
Thanks in advance for all the help!

1708455580249.png

1708448554422.png

Looks like you might want to use better RODI filters. I dont have any trace elements from RO water. Silicon can cause issues in tanks. I had some algae issues from silicon-rich RODI source water. The DI resin makes a difference. Try silicon buster from spectrapure as an add on.

Also having no Manganese or zinc is an issue for many corals. As for Boron...Id research as much as i can and /or ask RHF what his thoughts were.

Looks like you might want to use better RODI filters. I dont have any trace elements from RO water. Silicon can cause issues in tanks. I had some algae issues from silicon-rich RODI source water. The DI resin makes a difference. Try silicon buster from spectrapure as an add on.

Also having no Manganese or zinc is an issue for many corals. As for Boron...Id research as much as i can and /or ask RHF what his thoughts were.
Thanks for the note! I will have to continue reading. I have 2 mixed beds on my RO but, ill have to add some more resin cartridges. Thanks again.

Thanks for the note! I will have to continue reading. I have 2 mixed beds on my RO but, ill have to add some more resin cartridges. Thanks again.
Looks like the Rodi results are in ppb parts per billion. 19 ppb is nothing to worry about, I highly doubt their resolution is even that accurate. 19 ppb equates to .019 ppm.

Looks like the Rodi results are in ppb parts per billion. 19 ppb is nothing to worry about, I highly doubt their resolution is even that accurate. 19 ppb equates to .019 ppm.
What's an acceptable number for silicon in RO water? I have two small mixed beds on my RO system and change the first one when it gets close to the end. Well before my second chamber starts to change color..

Natural sea water silicon can range between .06ppm to over 2 ppm depending on where you are in the ocean from what I have read. Your salt mix is also a contributor of silicon. seems like keeping a reef tank below 1ppm is the reasonable number. My water supply is from a well with known high silicon concentrations so personally I run 2 cartridges of cation resin followed by one cartridge of anion resin. The mixed resin has both but depending on your incoming water supply one can be depleted more rapidly than the other so that is why its nice to keep them separated. Silicon will be absorbed by the anion resin.

Natural sea water silicon can range between .06ppm to over 2 ppm depending on where you are in the ocean from what I have read. Your salt mix is also a contributor of silicon. seems like keeping a reef tank below 1ppm is the reasonable number. My water supply is from a well with known high silicon concentrations so personally I run 2 cartridges of cation resin followed by one cartridge of anion resin. The mixed resin has both but depending on your incoming water supply one can be depleted more rapidly than the other so that is why its nice to keep them separated. Silicon will be absorbed by the anion resin.
Will talk to you in person here shortly lol

Back