Are orbit marine 18 loop pro enough for 20g nano?

thebigfluff

Non-member
Wondering if these are the best lighting I can have for my 20g inuvo nano

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221103-223943_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221103-223943_Chrome.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 69
I have no idea, but the real question that should be asked is, What type of corals will you be trying to keep?

Quick online search shows this light is around 18w x2 which is low-medium light. This light would probably be ok for softies and some LPS like you suggest though you’d need to upgrade in the future to keep much more than that. Edit: looks like the PRO version is essentially 2x fixtures so 40ish watts total which is good for softies and some LPS, however, for the price you could likely get a better light either new or used.

The spectrum on this light looks rather white and blue heavy.

Something like a kessil 360, or ai prime will give you more flexibility though you should check what kind of coverage you’d get based on tank dimensions as these are spot lights so may need to mount high enough for sufficient coverage. If budget is an issue, I’d look for a used Kessil 360 or ai prime over this light as you can probably pick up a used one of these in good condition for similar price to this light new.

I’m also selling a couple black boxs of you're interested. These are more budget lights with plenty of power and decent spectrum. The ones I listed above are nicer lights overall but also more $$.

Last edited:
It would definitely grow corals, but I would prefer something that has a broader light spectrum. Something like an AI prime is a lot more powerful, so you can run it at a lower setting now with softies/LPS but you also have the ability to keep SPS down the line and just turn up the power a bit, and the colors will definitely be better from the corals because you have that UV/violet channel. Bulk Reef Supply has some good videos on this light and other similar ones.

I am a fan of Reefbreeder lights but would be 2-3x the cost of what you have posted.
Another great option. A 16” Reefbreeders new is around $400 but used ones occasionally pop up for sale around $225-$250 and could run circles around the Orbit.

Wondering if these are the best lighting I can have for my 20g inuvo nano

Thanks!
They're big enough to run on your nano, but they are not the best lighting you can have for it. They may grow what you currently have, but they're useless if you plan to upgrade your system or take a shot at growing SPS. And while they will grow what you currently have, I can almost guarantee that your existing coral will look better under a light like the AI Prime.

I bought my previous nano used and it came with this same light. I ended up getting an AI Prime within 3 months. I'd highly recommend just spending more up front and getting a good light because if you go with these, there's a good chance you'll want to upgrade them in a few months anyway.

I see, well I am open to any used gear anyone may have. These came with the tank and I was lead to beleive they were more than sufficient. Thanks guys!

I see, well I am open to any used gear anyone may have. These came with the tank and I was lead to beleive they were more than sufficient. Thanks guys!
You did ask if this was the best lighting for your 20 gallon. Will is work for some corals, yes. Is it the best choice? I think most would say no.

I had the orbit marine pro on a 29 gallon tank and I struggled to grow coral. Definitely not SPS.
I didn’t really get much growth either on anything even Zoas. I would never recommend this light Based on my time with it which was about six months

IMO You don't always need the "best" light. Mostly you need a light to do the job for the type of corals you want to keep and maybe one that will be useful if you grow into a larger tank.

If you already have it id keep it for a bit until if/when your tank outgrows it.
I'm with @Skmaiden . If you've got it, use it and see how it goes. No sense upgrading to a more powerful light if this one does the job for the corals you intend to keep. Save your money for the upgrade later on. Or for a generator for when the power fails. Good luck

Back