Are torch corals the new Elegance corals

Pardsie

Non-member
I can remember back when Elegance were very popular and as hardy as any of the euphyllias. They seemed to be indestructable.. Then after some time they were almost impossible to keep. Are torch corals the new Elegance..

I never can remember Elegance corals as being easy to keep alive nevermind indestructible. Must've been a different time period.

I’ve had both and they never would die on me. Still have a gold torch that’s 3 years old. Been through all kinds of swings and it’s still looking good to this day

When I started in the hobby people talked about how easy elegance was to keep and I tried several times and all died, despite trying the antibiotic treatment that Julian Sprung was advocating at the time. That was about 20 years ago. Things may have changed with the wild collected ones as I've seen some nice ones in shops of late, but I myself would never try a wild collected one again. About 7-10? years or so ago I got one from a hobbyist that had it for more than a year. I've had that same one ever since and fragmented it several times, sold a few to BRS folks as well.

I cannot speak to the current hardiness of torch corals available in the hobby, however, generally I've found that ANY coral you can get aquacultured, or even better yet from a hobbyist is likely to do well in an aquarium.

Well said!!! I began in 1989 when I bought a 55 gallon saltwater tank for my wife for Xmas. When she returned from traveling she walked in the house and said "What the heck is that" from then on it became mine. I always try to buy aqua cultured as opposed to wild for numerous reasons. Life expectancy and protect the natural reefs primarily.

A lot of it has to fo with collection.
In the 80's/early 90's the collection was a hole different ball game. As the hobby grew and the demand for Corals increased the quality of the collection process declined. I remember Eric Boreneman and I having several long conversation about possible reasons for the Elegance decline. And we felt it was due to the stress they were subjected to during collection, which would cause the Coral to go into defense mode, thus producing excess slime. But now when stuck into a small bag for 20-40 hours its already doomed and unknowingly kills itself.

Same could be happening with Torches. I have always felt Torches are fussy and can melt if you look at them wrong. And overall compared to other LPS have a terrible track record as far as import success rates.

Back