Asternia starfish how many is too many

Bendint

Nothing good happens fast
So I have had those little always broken looking asternia starfish but I've been noticing them over time multiplying I easily have hundred+ in my 120 I came out this morning and they were covering the glass I've never noticed them to be so much I don't think I overfeed or anything I wanted to know what people do I've read everything from get them out to they are harmless they don't seem to be harming coral yet but nothing is good in high numbers please let me know your experience
094ace15901e66a7fa650a2d4981a032.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep taking some out every wc and treat it like another form of nutrient export. Kinda like trimming cheato.

I have found them on stressed zoas.they help clear the dying zoas but some may think they are killing them. I have had them in numbers like yours before. They are starting to show back up on my glass. I like them because they can clean the rock in the hard to reach areas.

If you have too many I will take some off your hands! ;).

I have a sh** ton as well, you'll notice them more on the glass in the mornings before the lights come on or late night after the lights are off.
Once the lights are on they'll hang out in the sandbed or on the live rock.
They mutiple very easily, my fish pick at them from time to time and a limb seems to form another starfish very easily.

I really don't think anything of it, they're doing their small part to keep the ecosystem thriving.

I have a sh** ton as well, you'll notice them more on the glass in the mornings before the lights come on or late night after the lights are off.
Once the lights are on they'll hang out in the sandbed or on the live rock.
They mutiple very easily, my fish pick at them from time to time and a limb seems to form another starfish very easily.

I really don't think anything of it, they're doing their small part to keep the ecosystem thriving.

Yea I see them those times I believe them to be fine my family likes em my kids make a game of counting each of them but I just kinda am wondering if they can be a problem in large numbers cuz I had them for years but just recently noticed a spike in their numbers what eats them other than crazy expensive shrimp

Harlequin shrimp will eat them but then they will prob starve unless you have other star fish to feed them...

If they aren't in crazy numbers to where you can't see into your tank then I'm not sure that they cause any damage. I personally think they look kind of cool..

Harlequin shrimp will eat them but then they will prob starve unless you have other star fish to feed them...

If they aren't in crazy numbers to where you can't see into your tank then I'm not sure that they cause any damage. I personally think they look kind of cool..

I agree they look cool I was just reassuring that they're fine in big numbers I wonder if a wrass will pick on them

I had a ton of asterina starfish then I got a pair of harlequin shrimp and they kept them in check but they didnt starve because they only ate what they needed

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Really I may look but I'm trying to boycott them to me steves always seem has an chip on his shoulder I like his wife and overprice everything I've been going there for years and always leave unhappy they yelled at my kid for touching the cat that came up to her

They don't let any children touch the cat. They don't trust it , better safe than sorry

I understand but it was how he acted ..I respect him as a lfs owner who knows things but I am just not happy with it I've looked past it it's the only lfs close by so I still go there for some things but honestly I'd rather go next door to petco for most

Back