Asternia stars drivin me crazy!

If they mostly only come out at night why not just leave them be? I used to have a ton back in my 40g but for whatever reason their population declined naturally.

+1 Exactly the same and I miss having a lot of them. Now I still have many and they are night hardworkers cleaning my glass and rocks.

Can you keep the shrimp with 2 coralband ones? I've got hundreds of the all over the place. Have not noticed them bothering corals but they are becoming an eye sore on glass.

Ya I got tons of em, and I have seen them on my zoa at times
Oh and I don't like em!

I have an infinite supply of these guys.
My routine is scraping them off the glass when I whip away excess algae.
As they plummet to the bottom of the tank my fish nip off some legs.
Then the starfish apocalypse happens and there legs turn into more! Night of the living Starfish!
Doesn't really bother me that much though.

I have a Melanarus wrasse that eats those little buggers . couldn't believe it when I saw it even took a video of it . running an experiment with the linka

My secret weapon has arrived thanks to underwater world!!

These guys are probably one of my favorite inverts. I use to have one in my 90 when I was having to clean my glass daily....just to knock the stars off so I could appreciate the rest of the tank :miserable:

It's so small and blends in pretty good, i can't find it today, hope it's chowing down somewhere

So I'm not sure what happened to the shrimp but it's mia
Took this pic when the lights were out over the weekend

Maybe you just have that many of them that the shrimp don't need to come out in search of food. It can just hang out in its den and snack all day and night lol.

Or maybe the shrimp is scaring the crap out of them because he's chowing down and they've run away to the glass :cool:

On a side note I haven't seen an asternia star in years in my tank...

Back