Back in the hobby from Merrimack, NH

clownfish24

Non-member
Hi,

My name is Mary (aka "clownfish24"). I live in Merrimack, NH. I'm just getting back in the hobby after 10+ years. A lot has changed! Back then I had 55 & 20 gallon saltwater tanks that I considered successful (little fish loss). But I used tap water, oyster shell substrate, real coral skeletons, basic fluorescent lighting, and a canister filter. Now it's all about live rock, live sand, sophisticated lighting, sumps and a bunch of other gadgets I never heard of! But I think it's great because it means we can all keep more exotic creatures, and they will thrive instead of just survive. But I still have a large learning curve ahead of me that I hope you experts can help me with!

I decided to start slow, so I bought a Biocube 29. I have not set it up yet, as I want to first purchase an RO/DI unit, and also a better protein skimmer and filter solution. I plan to try some corals, which I never had before, and of course 1 or 2 clownfish (my favorite!).

I have a few basic questions...

- Does live sand and live rock ever die, and if so, how would I know? (I don't want to be the naive one paying $5/lb for rocks from someone's backyard!)

- Any recommendations on what types of clownfish and anemones (or perhaps coral) will bond together and do well in a BC 29?

- Your opinions on the "must have" mods for the BC 29? I do have the upgraded model with a higher fish saver wall, cutout between chambers 2&3, window on back side to light a refugium, and improved hood that will turn off the ballasts when the bulbs start dying.

Thanks BRS! Looking forward to reefing with you all... :)

Mary

Welcome!!!

Live rock and live sand does die if they dry out. If you're hesitant to spend $5 and up per lb or live rock I'd suggest looking at one of our sponsors Marco Rock. He sells dry rock for $2-$3 per lb and you won't get any nasty hitchhickers and eventually it looks just as good (can't tell mine apart)

And as for an RO/DI I'd suggest looking at another sponsor bulk reef supply. I bought their 5 stage plus RO/DI and it is awesome!!!

And BTA's are pretty easy to keep and I'm a big fan of the true percula clowns...

BTA and the true perculas are the way to go!

MY clown wont leave my BTA unless he is eating.

Welcome to the club. Good to see you back into it. Good to see that you have researched all the new things since you were in to the hobby. Remember skimmer and lights are your two most important purchases in my opinion. Better to get something that seems a bit overkill then regret it later. With metal halides you can keep almost all corals.

Feel free to ask questions. There are no stupid questions except the ones not asked.

Back