Basic tank setup questions...

Adam Page

Non-member
I have currently gathered a few items to setup my first couple tanks. I want to make sure I am good to go with what I have. If there are any professionals out there who know what I need to get started correctly, please let me know.

Here is what I currently own:
-2 Tanks: 30 gallon rectangle and a 55 gallon rectangle.
-I have two pumps with filters, which I will not be using because I will use reefs/coral to filter. I am still not sure if they are the correct type, but this is why I am asking.
-2 Heaters

I still need the following:
-protein skimmers, not sure what is a good brand name.
-I also need the hood/light setup for both, but I am in the process of finding the appropriate light setups.

I will be getting:
Timers with a power strip.

I know the live coral will be my filters.

Professionals... I ask you... what else do I need to get going...? Have I done anything wrong? I want to get my water going...

Yeah forums like this will ultimately be where you get most of your knowledge (well aside from actual hands-on experience of course). But the down side is that it's fairly unstructured which makes it difficult when you're not even sure what you should be looking for.

To that end, I would recommend getting your hands on at least one good book. I found that easier when I was starting because the info is organized and structured so you could start to make sense of it all. I'm a big fan of "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist."

Thanks for the posted link JayM, it was very helpful. And thanks for the book idea, I will look for one.

Hey Jocko I was at Barnes and noble to look for the "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist," and I found it. It was very expensive though. You were right that it is an AMAZING book. I went home and ordered the book off of Amazon.com... $8.95 later... I own it. Thank you very much for the advice...

Awesome. Glad to hear it! Fenner is a very entertaining individual and definitely knows his stuff!

you are going to need a LOT more. I would suggest having a look through our useful thread http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?5034-Useful-threads

it will answer a lot of basic questions.

the thing you are going to need the most of is PATIENCE. Even if you start your tank TODAY, you are weeks away from being able to safely house fish, and months away from being able to safely house coral.

Patience is the biggest thing you need in this hobby. It's also the hardest part.

Back