Basket Starfish

Jim Tansey

BRS Member
Anyone know anything about them? A LFS has a red one thats really cool looking like a cross between a feather duster and a starfish, labeled as Basket Star. I would like to buy it I don't know anything about them.

Jim

Hi Jim,
I had one once - a really cool invert. I lost him in a power failure. They are generally filter feeders, although I saw mine eat meaty stuff too. They hide during the day and spread their tentacles W I D E all night long, usually in a corner. They seem to be partcularly sensitive to water quality and temperature and seem to hang around powerheads. So make sure the powerheads are properly screened!
Paula

I've never kept a basket star before, but I read up about them a few months ago as I was thinking of getting one. From what I've read, these are one of those creatures that generally need a constant stream of live phytoplankton to survive. Nilsen & Fossa's book, Reef Secrets, mentions that over 95% of basket stars collected for aquariums die in under 6 months. I guess that they are really delicate and are easily damaged during shipping and collecting. I think the best way to keep them would be in a setup similar to one you would use for sea fans:something with strong alternating currents and regular feeding of MarineSnow or Cyclop-eeze.

Last edited:
I have had several that came to me as hitch hikers. Unfortunatly none survived for very long. Also they ball up during the lite period and unfurl in the dark. Mine always lived in the branches of Gorgonians. Very cool indeed. Being that it is for sale consider buying one a rescue though it probably won't survive for longer than a few months.

Hi Jim I have had one that was taken
in as a rescue almost 19 months ago he is doing great and as Paula said they are very delicate creatures mine seems to be the exception( but then again so does my elegance) I tend to overfeed my tank although less lately due to forgetfulness on my part but I do have the fuge which I think seems to help I have seen him take in cyclopeze along with smaller particles of mysis soaked in zoe or selcon I have not used DTs in the tank in app 2 months and he seems to be doing the same no worse no better I do use chromoplex 2-3 times a week..I can tell you that I never would have taken in a basket star except for the fact that I know he was in a certain death if not rescued and at least trried to give him what was needed to survive and flourish I can say that I am extremely happy that he has done so well and is a long time survivor for his species and my girls watch the tank every nite to see him open up cause they know that it is desert time when he does :) he is very predictable good luck if you decide to take on this endeavor any ? feel free to PM me

Back