best deal on Apex?

Skeeter7424

More corals than gallons
hey all

so im finally pulling the trigger on a controller, and am going with the Apex. but wanted to know if anyone had any insight to where had them cheapest. I found that I could (with a known working coupon code) get one from aquacave with the lab grade pH probe for $483 with free UPS shipping. That has been hard to beat, but I wanted to check to see if anyone had other coupon codes or ideas where they could be had for a little less. Every penny counts these days, especially on stuff like this.

Cheers
Jordan

(apologies if this isnt the forum for this thread...)

Check with Jeremy from premium aquatics, I bought a apex lite from him at a great price.. give him a try, he's a sponsor as well.

I paid $499 from Pat at AA, no shipping or tax, in my hands the same day :)

well then i guess my next question is, is the lab grade pH probe worth the extra $22? I figured if I'm buying a $500 machine, that I might as well upgrade to the $22 extra for the lab probe...

lab grade probes last longer...standard probes only last a year... worth the extra cake...u will get three times the life on a LGP (provided u take care of it!!)

Your going to wonder how you lived without it. I am running three tanks with mine now. I am doing so, because I am doing a tank swap. I found no matter where you go, you will pay the same. Whatever you do, don't buy the lite version.. I made that mistake, and after adding the modules it didn't come with I ended up paying more. I have 3 EB8s and I have everything under control .

Good luck, and don't get frustrated at first, it takes a little while to get use to the way it works.

lab grade probes last longer...standard probes only last a year... worth the extra cake...u will get three times the life on a LGP (provided u take care of it!!)

ok, done! for $22, again, it seemed worth it

Your going to wonder how you lived without it. I am running three tanks with mine now. I am doing so, because I am doing a tank swap. I found no matter where you go, you will pay the same. Whatever you do, don't buy the lite version.. I made that mistake, and after adding the modules it didn't come with I ended up paying more. I have 3 EB8s and I have everything under control .

Good luck, and don't get frustrated at first, it takes a little while to get use to the way it works.

thats what i hear! i have been looking, and studying, the advanced code already. i have done a bunch of coding, so im not all that worried about it. i won't be buying the lite. and i have found that i can survive with one EB8 for now, but will most likely add another one soon enough (aka as soon as i buy the 2 sol modules that are going to light this tank...)

thanks for the heads up!

Cheers
Jordan

When I bought the Lite it wasn't a bad deal, I paid $350 for it, but now its not so cheap. I bought the other 2 EB8 pretty cheap. I use the 2nd one, but the third I am just using for this tank move. I also have a lot of stuff plugged in I don't need to. I have 3 MP40, but they are connected with the WMX module, so they could just be plugged into a regular wall outlet. Also my LEDs, they are controlled by the variable power outlet, so they really don't need a dedicated outlet.

I was just at someones house and they had 8, or 9 of the sols, I might need to put those over my new 120, they are very nice.

GoodLuck

yea ive only had my halides up a short time and i am already sick of them. I mean, im sure the output is awesome. but the heat and the electricity is just not worth it long term for me. the tank is in an air conditioned room now, and will be for the summer when the heat really matters. but i have found a 2 Sol kit for $903 with the controller and the 36" hanging rack. i figure those would pay for themselves in under a year when you figure in cooling (either a chiller or the a/c on constantly) plus the cost of electricity (350 watts of halide+96 watts of T5 vs. 144 watts of LED...). we'll see how work goes this winter though! but the Apex is happening this week!

I am hoping my DIY LEDs will cover my 120. If not I am going to try and sell it, and buy 3 or 4 modules. They are very nice, and I like how you can just add them together. That is the problem I am going to have with my light. Its 4ft, my 10in wide. Not bad for over a 75, but the 120 is 4x2x2, so I might have a problem.

yea i have looked into building another LED fixture, as I have already built one, but the ease with which the Sol's can be installed, controlled, and then ultimately upgraded, that just beats out any cost advantage (and bragging rights from building another fixture) that is out there. I do love the DIY stuff (check any of my 3 build threads...) but I think this time I am going to invest in a product that I really love the functionality of...that and I love the idea of a lightning storm :)

Back