Best Return Pumps Cost to Own Wise

gobyvin

Non-member
Looking for most efficient and reliable model most used. Cheap stuff not a necessity. I have been in for the long haul but have not purchased gear in a while. Any help greatly appreciated. There is lots of very expensive stuff out there. Looking for best value, not interested in gimmicks or tech gadgetry. I want a pump that will run forever reliably and not be a power hog. 180 gallon AGA. Got a 40 breeder sump and 30”x14” refugium.

Skimmer is a Bubble Magus Curve 9. Dual 7” 200 micron socks in sump. Refugium bottom is just above tank lip with overflow back to display. Head height maximum needs to be 10 feet.

I was thinking Eheim, but lots of DC pumps out there. Eheim makes phenomenal, simple and well designed pumps. Lower power consumption too... anybody have a similarly reliable favorite that beats them on these merits?

I use a Eheim compact right now only because it was what was available when I was swapping from tank to tank and needed a new return pump rather quickly. It was rather noisy when I first started using it, it did quite down after about a week though, but still a noticeable hum. As far as energy consumption goes it sits around 64w which is double the sicce I would’ve liked to grab. Can’t speak as far as reliability goes but I am planning on switching it out for a dc return in the future. with those few tid bits I would not reccomend them.

if you want to stick with an ac pump the sicce syncra Silents are nice pumps, as far as dc goes I don’t have any experience but from doing my own reading I’m gonna go with either a reef octopus Varios or Ecotech vectra when I upgrade.

For lower cost, I’ve seen the Hydor Seltz line getting decent reviews. If cost isn’t a huge factor, but reliability, silence of operation, and operational cost are, RE Red Dragon pumps won’t steer you wrong.

I have my Sicce Synchra pump working away reliably - adjustable & quiet, and have never ever had an issue with it despite my deplorable lack of any kind of regular pump maintenance. Has been going for many years (10?).

Thanks All that answered. This is excellent information. I am going to look at all recommendations and make a purchase. I finished my return plumbing today and sump the other day. I have some old lifeguard 3000’s that will power the return circuits until I figure out the new pumps. I got a Tunze Turbelle 6105 today and have two Coral Box 16’s for water flow upgrades to compare coming tomorrow. These should be enough for the animals I am hosting from my wife’s schoolroom reef. My 180 was being built back, had a bunch of cycled rock I was working on that had to go back into a brute until the COVID is not an issue and we can move the tank back to its home. Kids got a huge upgrade. With all the time on our hands we increased our coral inventory a lot. Purchases and Donations from friends.

Back