Blood or Fire Shrimp

SherryQ

loves pufferfish
Are these shrimp secretive like peppermint shrimp? I got one on Monday and I haven't seen it since. So, I was wondering - is it hiding or is it dead?

Thanks.

From what i know about them,they are like the cleaner shrimp but are very shy.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. I had a peppermint shrimp that i threw in a 10 g with a baby puffer. The shrimp was about 3/4 inch long, and I assumed it would be fish food. About 6 months later, I noticed an adult peppermint shrimp crawling around. Shrimps can be pretty secretive, especially if there is something they perceive as a threat in the tank. It takes them a while just to get adjusted enough to come out even without any large or predatory fish in with them

Yeah, from my experience, these folks are both right.
At first the shrimp will hide most of the time. It'll gradually get more bold, provided there aren't any predators.
But in the end, these shrimp are more shy than skunk cleaners and banded coral shrimp.

I have 3 in my 125g and you can always see at least 2 of them or thier whiskers sticking out of the rocks. drop some food in and they are anything but shy.Probably one of my favorite things in the tank

i went over to my tank to see what mine was doing and he came running out from behind a rock... mine is very out going and not scared at all... i have had for 3 months

Sherry I have 2 of these guys and as soon as the tank is fed they are out but the are not out that often during the day

I have one Blood along with 2 cleaners and 3 peppermint (I love the Shrimps). The cleaners are out all the time Blood half the time, and the peps only when feeding. If you target feed them with a turkey baster you can teach them to come out on demand. I also hand feed them, they will all come out and crawl on my hands, it?s neat.

Back