calcium hydroxide

Richard

Non-member
Does anyone have any extra calcium hydroxide from the bulk order that they are not using and want to sell? I'm out of kalk and about to order some Mrs. wages pickling lime.

TIA
Richard

I have a 5 gallon bucket of the calcium hydroxide sold by the group a few months back. never used it, got a reactor instead. sell for what I paid but forgot what was it. hmmm. think $20

hey richard,

i'm also looking for some calcium hydroxide. do you think i could get in on some of this too if you're not going to take it all? if you are going to take it all, that's fine too. thanks.

Yaktop said:
hey, Scavdog how much more than 5 gallon bucket could he use?

Tough question to answer, but as a gauge.... 1 cupfull will kill off about 300 gallons of tank volume or about $3500. in corals and other life. :confused:

How much CaO is too much? Let see I bought a bag last year, mantishunter and I split it and everytime I look into the bucket I think "geeze it doesnt even look like I've used any".

Hi Peter I'm not going to take all of it .

Yanktop . I'll take your 5 gal bucket for 20.00. Are you goingh to the next meeting?
Thanks

Sorry joe but Ed reply first.

Serious suggestion......

You guys all know what one cupful of this stuff cost me last February.
make sure your dosing system is full proof. In my case it was just a slip of the pick up tube cost me everything.
What I've learned/done to prevent it from happening again: I no longer let my pick up tube dangle into the top off barrel, it's now fixed at a height that can never suck the sludge from the bottom. Also my peristaltic pump is plugged into a PH controller and a float switch so it can run only if the sump is low and then, only if PH is below 8.5.

Make sure it's fool proof too!!

"Everytime I try to make something idiot-proof, they just go ahead and make better idiots!!!"

Well we all know what a bunch of "fools" we are . . . but you werent far off Marc, we're also all "full" of . . . . . ;)

Seriously though Marc is 100% right about being careful with this stuff. It can kill your tank, make sure that your drip/feed line can't hit the sludge. The pH controller and float switch are superb ideas as well.

For those of you who are new to this . . .
CaO or CaOH make a solution with a pH of about 11.0 or 12.0. It doesnt take a whole lot of pH 11.0 liquid to run a typical system well up into the 9.0 range or higher. If the sludge gets in the tank and hits anything it will burn it, not heat burn, pH burn(although there is a lot of heat generated when you mix it up) . . . if you dont believe me put some CaO or CaOH on your arm and drip a little water on it.

DO NOT REALLY DO THAT!!!!!! sooner or later it will happen by accident and you'll know what I mean.

I'm still doing "manual" top off for kalk. Only a specific amount allowed to drip into tank, or added 1st thing in the am

and even with manual top off I had a brain cramp & refilled jug 3-4x one time, spiked tank up to 9.3, quickly came down to 8.6...but what a scare

dowflake is CACl2, and is not a balanced supplement.

It is not interchangeable with CAO or Ca(OH)2.

It can be dosed along with a preparation of Baking Soda or Washing soda to make a 2 part additive.

Hope this helps.

Ahhh good catch Karl, I ddidnt even realize what the hell you were talking about until I went back and reread the thread.

Please do not confuse DowFlake (Calcium Chloride) which adds only Calcium to the tank with Quicklime or Lime (Calcium Oxide and Calcium Hydroxide) which "adds" (for lack of a better term) both Calcium and alkalinity.

Back