Can someone tell me how much Interceptor(grams) + Levamilsol(ml) to dip acro

meemoo

Non-member
I am having a hard time figuring out how much Interceptor + how much levamisol to use to dip some incoming acro's + monti. I have the Interceptor tabs from dog and liquid levamisol?

For the Levamisole:

The dosage is 40 ppm - 6 hours to kill the Montipora eating nudibranchs I believe, but it's a good idea to blast the coral with some water afterward as sometimes I think they are just stunned and not completely dead. I believe the Acropora eating flatworms don't need as much time, but I've never had the chance (thank the stars) to experiment with them.

If you are using the powdered form then it's 90% active, therefore you need about 44 ppm, or approximately 44 mg/liter. Pretty hard to measure the really small quantities. I found that the really tiny spoon that comes with Chemi-clean will measure out exactly 0.103 g of the powdered Levamisole, therefore good for 2.3 liters worth.

If you are using the 13.65% active liquid solution then I believe 40 ppm works out to 1.1 ml/gallon of dip water. Mitch Carl seemed to prefer the powdered form.

Interceptor: The big dog tablets (51-100lb dogs) will treat 380 gallons. If you grind up the tablets use 25 mg/10 gallons dip or tank water. Treatment is 6 hours duration to kill the Acropora red bugs, or the Montipora black bugs. Some people use 10X this dose with no problems. Some people also shorten the duration of the dip.

Thanks Greg, would it just be easier to dip with Betadine? I've been reading thats a safer way to go, but I want to make sure it will get all the bugs.

Betadine will take care of Acro pests, not positive on monti nudies, but it takes care of the monti black bugs. The treatment of betadine is 3mL/L for 30 minutes.

IMO/IME Betadine will not kill all the Acro red bugs. I tried this several times, it will get a lot of them, but not all. If you are dipping a small fragment you might be alright, particularly if you blow it off really carefully with a turkey baster, and then inspect it with a magnifing glass or a dissecting microscope to be certain you got them all off. Betadine also, IME/IMO will NOT kill all the Montipora black bugs. Basically the black bugs act IME very similarly to the red bugs, except that from what I've seen they are a lot LESS of a problem for most Montipora than the red bugs are for Acropora.

Back