Centropyge aurantia AKA Golden Angel

SteveDola

Good Tings
BRS Member
Ive been looking into getting a dwarf Angel for my 75 and im becoming more and more inclinded to special order this fish through my LFS due to its odd yet beautiful coloration and possible reef compatibility. I wanted to know if anyone has sucessfully kept these rare Angels in a reef and whether or not you would advise it. Any other personal expirence on the subject would be appreciated also...thanks.

I have had one for about 1.5 years, so I gave give my experiences.

Mine is somewhat shy, but not as shy as others have reported. It tends to stay close to the rockwork, but will come out and be seen. However, it is far less likely to come out if there are other people in the room (my wife only gets glimpses every now and then).

It eats everything from frozen seafood to pellets! I have not seen many dwarf angels as fat as mine. Not coincidentally, feeding time is the only time that mine will venture out away from the rocks.

That being said, it took what seemed like forever (probably 2-3 months) before it started taking any prepared foods. So, I think that I got lucky. Also, I only have 2 wrasses in the tank which pay little attention to the angel, which probably helps with the shyness.

All in all, it is a very cool fish. But, if you are looking for something like a flame or coral beauty that will be out constantly, you may want to reconsider the golden.

Here is a bad picture, but getting a shot of it is easier said than done.

Nice looking angel. Thanks for the words of wisdom. Does the little guy nip at any LPS ?

Also, can Greg chime in? I know he does alot of research on marine animals and he would be able to give me some insight.

Mine does not nip at any of the LPS's, feather dusters, or the clam in my tank. It does rarely nip at SPS, but causes no noticeable damage.

Scott Merrill Has one as well, its doing well, but its a shame his hides alot so you dont get to see it much unless you are feeding.

Back