smallish new majestic bullied by centropyge

nickyblase

Non-member
I introduced a small juvi majestic angel today, and my Potter's whom I've had for going on 2.5 or 3 years is not happy (he is larger than the majestic at the moment). He's nipping at his fins and chasing him around the tank.

I turned the lights off and put a blanket over the tank to make it nice and dark in there, so hopefully the little guy will have some respite.

Should I keep the lights off for a couple days? How long does this usually last?

You might try to stick a mirror on the glass for a couple of weeks. The centropyge should be distracted a little by the new mystery centropyge.

In addition, if you rearrange the rocks, that helps. All the territory markers are reset. :p

Juvenile majestic angels can be very shy initially. Make sure it has some good places to hide. I hope it was eating before you added it to the tank. If you can remove the potters for a few weeks, I'd consider doing so.

I came home a little bit ago and watched the tank for a little while. I put some food in the tank and he came out for about a millisecond, grabbed a piece and went back into hiding.

The Potters has only once done the sideways nudging thing, no nipping (in the hour I've been here). Seems like he's letting the Majestic hide and do his thing somewhat.

Greg - Should I still put the trap in and get the Potters out of there and in the sump for a few weeks, or not bother?

BTW - I put a mirror out this morning, and BOTH angels were going nuts over the mirror! The Majestic was right out there getting after his reflection. I thought that might not be a good thing, as perhaps an added stressor, so I took it away after a little while.

Should I put it back?

If the Majestic is eating and shown no signs of frayed/nipped fins, I'd let everyone alone. Just continue to make sure the fish gets enough to eat until it feels bold enough to come out more.

I left them all in, and this morning, have noticed that my hippo tang (who is still somewhat small - but larger than my Potters, is shooing him out of the back of the tank, and chasing him a little.

Is it possible that the tang is doing it to keep him away from the Majestic?

I may pull the Potters in light of this - he could be stressing everyone else out in addition to the Majestic.

Thoughts?

Back