Chloramines in the metro west water supply

JeanR

BRS Member
When I first go into this hobby 3 years ago I remember using an API ammonia test (which also detects chloramines) and getting a reading of >1ppm from the tap water. In metro west (which includes the town I live in) there is a huge amount of chloramines used to disinfect the water (2ppm).

I use a standard 4 stage RODI system I picked up from BRS. Nothing fancy for additional removal of chloramines. I'd be curious to know if/what you do to handle the chloramines.

1594080486125.png

1594080536234.png

I run a sediment filter, carbon block, chloramine block, then through 2 to membranes before hitting di and storage.

I highly recommend it (in an unprofessional sense). We did a pre and post taste test of the tap water and it was night and day. I was blowing through DI resin every two weeks without this and now I’ve gone through 5 weeks and it hasn’t exhausted one bit.

I look at things this way, once they city tells you there is something bad in your water it’s usually means you’ve been drinking it for 3 years.

Safety and precaution all around with this and it helps the rodi too!

I guess my town's water isn't as bad as I thought. My dual stage DI resins usually last 12+ months. I just replaced them at the 16ish month this last time when it went from 0 to 1 TDS at the exit. I just hate how hard my water is it leaves scale all over the fixtures in the house. We're refinancing in about a week and cashing out to the max LTV to redo the upstairs bathroom for afboundguy's better 1/2 maybe I'll try and squeeze in a house filtration system with the funds so her new bathroom doesn't have scale build up :cool:

Outstanding! I had high co2 in my water (23ppm) which was what was killing my resin. The big benefit of the whole home system is how it protects the house appliances. I’m told that after some time this unit should help remove scale. Good investment IMO

I just use a standard 7 stage BRS filter. I’m on the same water system in Boston and the ICP test for my RO system showed zero across the board (a little silicate - which BRS contributed to high pressure).

Back