Christmas tree worms?

customclimates

Non-member
What do you guys think of Christmas tree worms. My wife was going to pick up a good size LR with these on it. Easy to keep? Do they live long?

After the first "SURPRISE" purchase of a sea horse for me she is very careful not to jump right in. LOL I have never seen these other than a quick internet search after my wife said she almost bought them for me.

I had a really healthy and beautiful live Porites coral rock with them on it once. Even though I tried to feed them with finely suspended materials they started decreasing in number over the course of six months or so. The Porites coral did very well, and was clearly growing. I believe I read some text in one of the Sprung/Delbeek books that the worms do okay as long as the coral lives. For me that was not the case, and I don't actually think it's accurate. I eventually sold the coral before all the worms died. I figured maybe someone else had the right conditions for the worms.

I think if you want to keep them I'd try and feed some VERY finely divided food to the tank everyday, and probably some phytoplankton as well. In the old days (I had my coral back in about 1997) there were no frozen or preserved phytoplankton available.

Back