Clam Juice Barrels Safe for Aquarium water Storage?

MSilverio27

Non-member
Hello fellow reefers, my question is if using a barrel that was used for clam juice, safe for me to store my RO/DI water and another to mix my salt? How should I go about cleaning them, I know vinegar is suppose to be one of the best options. The reason is I'm preparing to pick up my 220 G tank this Saturday and I want to buy a couple of these barrels. Just want to make sure I'm making a good decision. Thanks for the help in advance...

I'm not positive but it seems like any food grade barrel that has been cleaned good should be ok.

Barrel I have was used to store glycerin.

I'd guess it is safe as it has to be food grade. I'd wash with a vinegar or peroxide solution. If it is clean and doesn't smell.. put in some RODI water with a powerhead. Wait a while... maybe a day, then test with a TDS meter (?)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I would fill it with water and some bleach let it soak. Dump it out and rinse it a couple of times then let it dry completely. Bleach will evaporate once it is dry. Then if you want fill with water one more time and add some water conditioner to remove any left over chlorine. I have never had a problem with a barrel once I let it dry. You can just use tap water for all of this no need for RO/DI.

I have one that had clam broth in it and had a heck of a time getting the stink out I it but its a great barrel. Washed and rinsed a bunch of times an it was fine.

Back