Clownfish pairing

Clutchcargo

Non-member
I had a pair of Percula Clownfish for 12 years. The female died a few months ago and I'm left with just one now. The male is doing OK by himself but I hate leaving good enough alone and I want to pair him up again.
Do I get a smaller clown and expect that the male will morph to a female or do I get a larger one and see what happens?

TIA Cliff

Unfortunately, I had the same thing happen: pair of Percula clowns, but the female jumped (before I added a mesh screen lid). The male was distraught and left by himself.

After a month or so, we purchased a tank bred juvenile male Percula from Frank180reef (bred by Ed), both active in the club. We carefully acclimated him to the tank (isolated in a net breeder box for several days). They bonded immediately and our adult male transitioned to female over the next few months. They've been inseparable ever since.

Definitely get a smaller / tiny one if yours has been alone for several months - he may have started down the path to womanhood.

perculas and occellaris are relatively less aggressive than other type of clowns. The chance of it killing the smaller one is slim.

Back