Confirmation of a Pest?

biscuit

Non-member
So I am thinking I have zoanthid eating nudibranchs. Can anyone confirm if that's what this is on my zoas? Looks like an egg sac to me. This is the first I have noticed it this evening. This is the only zoa frag in the tank, I've had it for about 3 weeks probably. Any suggestions for removal? I haven't noticed anything wrong with the zoas to suggest the nudibranchs were even there.
image.jpg

I would be very concerned that those might be nudi eggs.

I would be very concerned that those might be nudi eggs.

That's what I was thinking... :-(
Removal suggestions? Will they lay eggs anywhere else in the tank or only near their food source? Can I remove and dip the frag? What should I use?

There's a good chance malachite green can kill the eggs. If a viable option though, I would manually remove them.

Just make sure flow is cut off when you're trying to do anything to avoid them from flying off and landing somewhere.

As for the actual procedure:

- cut off the flow in your tank.
- take the rock with the eggs out
- dip it in the mixed solution of tank water and malachite green. Take a turkey baster and blow between the polyps to get the eggs off and to ensure any parasites fall off.
- rinse it in tank water to get rid off any malachite green residue (I usually rinse it 2-3 times after)
- back in your tank :)

Usually if you see the eggs at one spot then nudibranches might be at other places too; so I would keep a close look at your other zoas.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

There's a good chance malachite green can kill the eggs. If a viable option though, I would manually remove them.

Just make sure flow is cut off when you're trying to do anything to avoid them from flying off and landing somewhere.

As for the actual procedure:

- cut off the flow in your tank.
- take the rock with the eggs out
- dip it in the mixed solution of tank water and malachite green. Take a turkey baster and blow between the polyps to get the eggs off and to ensure any parasites fall off.
- rinse it in tank water to get rid off any malachite green residue (I usually rinse it 2-3 times after)
- back in your tank :)

Usually if you see the eggs at one spot then nudibranches might be at other places too; so I would keep a close look at your other zoas.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Archit is 100% correct. Where there is one egg sack there is probably more. Suggest you look at all your colonies to verify.

Luckily this is the only zoa frag in the tank. Thanks for the advice everyone. I appreciate the help.

Anyone near the south shore willing to help me out this weekend and show me how to do a dip like this properly (never have before)? I was reading some more and it looks like a Bayer dip might work as well. I feel like I could get my hands on Bayer much quicker than driving around everywhere for malachite green. I'll definitely be more selective with where I buy livestock. The LFS I purchased this from isn't a sponsor here so I don't feel bad avoiding them from now on. It was also only a $15 frag so I'm not going to spend a fortune trying to save it.

Look on Internet how long it will take these egg to hatch. I belive it will be within a week period. So do not wait too much for help. Do what Archit said ASAP or do it with Bayer if you want but Bayer will not kill the eggs. You will have to dip twice in the week to kill adults and newborns for at least 2 weeks. My experience with Monti eating nudies.

Last edited:
Back