Controller help ac3 vs reefkeeper

Brad S

Non-member
I know there are a million threads, but I'm still torn. Looking for some insight from owners.

Would like to pick one up... AC3 or the RK elite. From what I can gather the AC3 is much more powerful with iphone apps and ability the power things on and off remotely...

Reef keeper is more streamline and user friendly but less, "capable." Sound about right??? Any ReefKeeper users run into something the unit can't do? Any cell phone apps or good remote controls? Does it host a web page you can access remotely?

TIA.

Brad

Wait a week. Neptune is releasing a new controller called the Apex. I am sure there are going to be a lot of used AC3 on the market soon

Pre-orders next week!

From Reef Central:

Everyone please stay calm. :) I haven't updated the thread in a while as there was no major news to announce.
On Monday we will receive our first production units (everything done by our contract manufacturer). It is very likely that they will be built correctly as they've previously built 100% functional Apex prototypes. Assuming they look good, we'll update our website with all the latest Apex info, and open up pre-orders next week. First customer ship will be about 3 weeks after we give the CM the go-ahead. Just a little more patience please.

Curt

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1612322&perpage=25&pagenumber=7

I know there are a million threads, but I'm still torn. Looking for some insight from owners.

Would like to pick one up... AC3 or the RK elite. From what I can gather the AC3 is much more powerful with iphone apps and ability the power things on and off remotely...

Reef keeper is more streamline and user friendly but less, "capable." Sound about right??? Any ReefKeeper users run into something the unit can't do? Any cell phone apps or good remote controls? Does it host a web page you can access remotely?

TIA.

Brad
There is a 3rd party iPhone app for the RKE now, however it is limited by what the NET module can do. So for the time being remote control is out. The question is whether you can wait for Digital Aquatics to implement that enhancement. It's by far the biggest request at this point and with that new Neptune controller coming, I think DA will be burning the midnight oil to get that done.

I can only report from my personal experience. I've had the RKE since it came out. It runs my entire 90gal reef system and has been rock-solid. There is nothing I need it to do that it doesn't do with ease. Looks nice. Works wonderfully. I'd buy it again without reservation. My $.02

Back