Coral Beauty w/ Ick?! Please help.

My buddy has this stuff in his tank that is supposidly invert safe, no copper, IDK the name, but he says it's working. He is FW tho...

He said it's Jungle's Ick Gaurd, I can't find anything on it, but his inverts are fine (FW tho)

Ick Management

I have a process that seems to work for me, but more so I can do it without crashing the DT like I did once. I have two cleaner shrimp who I credit for 99.9% of ich mgt. Each new addition seems to hang out with the cleaners for a few weeks. I have seen the cleaners actually go into the open months of some fish. I run a UV for about 4wks. I add a few drops of garlic to the food. If several spots show up I use Kick Ich (per bottle directions) I add it using the drip method over a long period of time. The fish seem to go in and out of ich a couple of times, then it's over.
I don't know if any of this,except for the cleaner shrimp really add any benefit. However, it has stopped me from having a panic attack, and the fish have lived.
Forgive me for flying in the face of the gods, but my blue hippo spent 4 wks in QT with copper and still came down with some ich 4 days after going into the DT. He is fine now.

Sorry for the lost of CB.
I was planning on picking up one in a couple of weeks from KCA. Was doing some research on them and they tend to be a hardy fish. Why are so many saying they are differcult to keep? Just asking the question before I plan on having to go threw the trouble of a burial.

I am no reef professor myself,but my wife has done alot of homework on ich.I recently had a fish break out with ich in my tank.We read that if you feed three times a day,treating with garlic extreme and doing everything you can to keep the fish stress free(like not cleaning the glass)The fish will stay strong enough to fight off the ich.It worked for us.The key thing is to feed three times a day.(not big meals)This will keep your fish strong so that it can fight the ich.I know i have ich and the only time my fish break out is when they get stressed enough.Like i was always told(a good reefer can never read too much).

how long will the ICK stay in the tank?? and will it go away on it's own?

Ich will be present in the tank as long as there are fish in the system. Ich is a parasite and needs its host (fish) to survive. This is why leaving the system fallow for 6-8 weeks kills off the ich because it no longer has a host to feed off of.

Back