Coral problems please help

Mattd7

Non-member
I have been keeping a tank for about 4 years now last year I upgraded to a 92 corner at that point I added in a couple leathers since then I have never had success with them opening ever I have upgraded lights do water changes 10% every 2 weeks use coral pro salt, feel that I run all the best equipment but can't get it right wtf

Mag 9 return
Mp40 50% on reef Crest
Apex control
Razor max spec 160 running 60- 70% max
20 gallon sump
15 gallon refugium stocked w cheto
Sca 301 skimmer
Ato topping of with kalk

Parameters of water are
Salinity 1.025
Alk 7-8 dkh
Calc 420
Mag 1300
I test w elos and salifert and api as a secondary measure

No other eliments other such as ammonia nitrate etc.

My corals are limited
1 finger leather
1 toadstool
1 frogspon
1 candy can
1 rock with rodica mushroom

I can not figure it out I am at wits end I just want to be able to add some corals and have them thrive any help would be greatly appreciated

How do you check salinity, tank temp, and what are nitrates at also soft corals seem to benefit from iodine supplements

Salinty w refracto meter temp with apex prob nitrates are un detectable, how do I add iodin? Thanks for the help

Shoot for 9, I have found that there is a large measurement error, at least in my reading so 7 could be six

Not only raise your alk a bit but I would also the mag. I run between 1400 and 1500. Any trace of phos?

Also where are u located?

Last edited:
Fwiw I have been testing alk for like 15 years, I tested it today with the calibration and it was of f almost 1

for leather coral, I would NOT bother with trying to chase the number.
With the low end corals that you have, instance ocean salt is all you need. (no need for expensive salt...)
heck, you think Petco is using the most expensive salts and you think their parameters are all in checked? and yet their store can keep those corals happy. Petco never test for ALK, Cal and Mag just so you know. I worked at Petco for 5 years

maybe it has to do a little bit with your light or flow perhaps

Last edited:
Leathers like iodine.
Pet co uses reef crystals in my area. But I agree leathers normally aren't crazy picky with alk but 7 is low for anything but a fowlr. 9 is the minimum for a reef tank imo.

Leathers like iodine.
Pet co uses reef crystals in my area. But I agree leathers normally aren't crazy picky with alk but 7 is low for anything but a fowlr. 9 is the minimum for a reef tank imo.

I'll try bumping up can I add baking soda while I'm running kalk ? Thanks

I agree, you don't need perfect parameters for leathers. R u sure no fish are picking at them very occasionally? Any Pygmy angels)

Leathers are usually not too picky. I would guess lighting or salinity issues. Is your ATO keeping salinity steady? Are you getting good spectrum from your lights? What kind of PAR levels are you reading at the corals?

Initially we topped up manually and salinity fluctuations stressed out all of our corals. Then, the cheap Marineland LEDs we had didn't provide very good lighting. After adding an ATO and Kessil lights our leathers were much happier.

Back