corals dying?

I think the op is running Granular Activated Carbon, not carbon dosing. Bristle worms are my favorite scavenger, they are one of the most effective parts of the CUC. They are never a problem for LPS. When a bristle worm brushes our skim, the bristles irritate us and maybe even stick in us. LPS corals are adapted to them. They can crawl all over them even and they won't o much as irritate the LPS, due to the texture and composition of the corals tissue. Also, how long did you say the corals have been in the tank? How long did they do well?

Is the red bran a Trac? If so, should probably likes moderate light (on the lower end maybe 100 PAR or so), with relatively low flow. Should probably be on the bottom. They are very sensitive to tissue damage from the rocks and can be kept there, but are best kept on the sand. Also, I am not 100% sure about tracs, but there are a number of LPS corals, that get nutrients from the sand. I believe tracs are one, but don't quote me on that.

Lobo also, should like moderate (low side of moderate again) light and low flow (I definitely wouldn't aim a power head at him). What I do in situations where algae starts growing on an LPS, is move the coral to a dark sump with no light for a few days until the algae dies off. Then move the coral to a very shaded area and leave it there for a few days. Then slowly move the coral back out into the light. This has worked on numerous occasions.

The Goni is just tough to keep. They die slow, so, you may think they are doing well, but long term, the success rate is pretty dismal. Also, they pack some serious toxins, so, while they are dying, they may release them. These can be a big issue for other corals. Definitely run a lot of carbon, do a lot of water changes, skim heavily and do not place any corals down current from the goni.

The red brain is Red Wellsophyllia Brain Coral , I had it right out under the light, so I am going to have to place it in the shade, I would put it directly on the sand, but I may have issues with my gobies covering it with sand, but I'll watch it.If the get nutrients from the sand, where he is currently placed isn't ideal. As far as the lobo, I do not have a sump, so Im not sure hot to shade him out, it looks like hair algae, which I have a seahare, so do you think placing the seahare on the lobo might do the trick? I often feed my seahare (everyother to everyday) algae sheets as she's cleaned up shop in my tank, as well as this lobo was in direct light so I will get him lower too,
The Goni is going to be tough, Im a very vigorous feeder I guess, so he should have a very nutrient based water, I could also do the bottle trick, to keep a more concentrated area of food over him without applying direct feeding, he also should be getting plenty of light,

The red brain is Red Wellsophyllia Brain Coral , I had it right out under the light, so I am going to have to place it in the shade, I would put it directly on the sand, but I may have issues with my gobies covering it with sand, but I'll watch it.If the get nutrients from the sand, where he is currently placed isn't ideal. As far as the lobo, I do not have a sump, so Im not sure hot to shade him out, it looks like hair algae, which I have a seahare, so do you think placing the seahare on the lobo might do the trick? I often feed my seahare (everyother to everyday) algae sheets as she's cleaned up shop in my tank, as well as this lobo was in direct light so I will get him lower too,
The Goni is going to be tough, Im a very vigorous feeder I guess, so he should have a very nutrient based water, I could also do the bottle trick, to keep a more concentrated area of food over him without applying direct feeding, he also should be getting plenty of light,

IME, the Wellso likes light much more than a trac, but also is more sensitive to rocks. I could never keep them alive until I started putting them in the sand. The SeaHare could work, but the algae will likely grow back unless the tissue has a chance to heal. Do you have a cave or anything? Corals can out compete algae in low light environments. Short term anyways, they can get sufficient nutrients from amphiopods and other critters wandering around the tank and/or spot feeding, but the algae needs light. This gives the coral a chance to heal as it can out compete the algae. You can try the sea hare, but in the meantime, may want to start thinking about an alternative if it dosn't work.

IME, the Wellso likes light much more than a trac, but also is more sensitive to rocks. I could never keep them alive until I started putting them in the sand. The SeaHare could work, but the algae will likely grow back unless the tissue has a chance to heal. Do you have a cave or anything? Corals can out compete algae in low light environments. Short term anyways, they can get sufficient nutrients from amphiopods and other critters wandering around the tank and/or spot feeding, but the algae needs light. This gives the coral a chance to heal as it can out compete the algae. You can try the sea hare, but in the meantime, may want to start thinking about an alternative if it dosn't work.

my tank is full of corals, Bur I am going to try and make a cave for the lobo, as well as get the seahare on him, he is a good 6 inches by 4 inches minimum so not going to be easy. Any Ideas on how dark, or do you think it will work to just take away the direct sunlight?

My next thought would be, Black Plastic Sheets with the small squares (used for crafts), could I make a box out if this to place on top (without touching) the lobo to block out light but provide enough water flow as an idea?

my tank is full of corals, Bur I am going to try and make a cave for the lobo, as well as get the seahare on him, he is a good 6 inches by 4 inches minimum so not going to be easy. Any Ideas on how dark, or do you think it will work to just take away the direct sunlight?

I've only done complete darkness personally. It needs to be dark enough to kill the algae, but the problem is once you get recession, it's always a fine line between stressing it and helping it. I suspect that complete darkness will be less stressful, as dim light will likely take longer to kill the algae.

My next thought would be, Black Plastic Sheets with the small squares (used for crafts), could I make a box out if this to place on top (without touching) the lobo to block out light but provide enough water flow as an idea?

I'm not familiar with the sheets your referring to, but certainly shading the coral should work. Again, I think it just needs to be dark enough to work quickly. Some hair algae dosn't need much light though.

Back