Cutting Plexiglass

Arsalan

____LifeLongLearner____ BRS BoD
Officer
BRS Member
Anyone here done any work with plexiglass?

I’m trying to get perfectly clean and straight cuts. I’ve tried all kinds of blades and certain metal saws but don’t like the results.

I’ve heard of flipping a table saw blade backwards and using that but wanted to see if anyone tried anything else that worked well for them before I find me a table saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone here done any work with plexiglass?

I’m trying to get perfectly clean and straight cuts. I’ve tried all kinds of blades and certain metal saws but don’t like the results.

I’ve heard of flipping a table saw blade backwards and using that but wanted to see if anyone tried anything else that worked well for them before I find me a table saw.

I've tried the scoring and cracking method myself, it is never straight or clean. I doubt a saw will work. I tried a jigsaw and it heats the plastic up and it sticks together behind the cut.

Scoring with a strong straight edge.

You need to dig in deep and have a straight board that is heavily clamped down to keep the line straight.

If it isn’t straight a sharp razor blade can straighten it out.

Otherwise find a friend with a laser or water cutter. See if there is a maker space near you that will let you rent time on it.

if it is thick the scoring method wont work. Flipping the blade so it runs backwards will help with chipping. You might need to use a router to get the edges clean and straight.

I have a 120 tooth I believe purpose specific table saw blade you can use I also have plexiglass jigsaw and route bit. Id believe
a jig saw with proper blade and variable speed control would work well

Router with an edge guide. Or, rough cut on a table saw, then clean up with a router.

At best a table saw with a dedicated acrylic blade will come close to what a router can do everyday effortlessly.

Tip - spiral cut bits work way better on acrylic than straight cut. Rough cut to @1/16" then clean up with a final pass to get the best results. Choose an "up cut" or "down cut" to pull the shavings away from the material depending on how you are cutting (from the top or the bottom / hand held vs router table)

If you are NOT bonding (welding) the acrylic then you can get away with a table saw cut. If this is the case, again, cut close then shave off a final thin trim to get it just right. If you are bonding/welding just do it right (router) from the beginning or learn the hard way :)

This is awesome info thanks guys!
I had actually heard about routers being a good option so I picked one up not too long ago.

Thanks for the offer pugz! I just ordered this bit

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KJHTL8U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_xHG4BbXZP4675

Thinking it should be a good investment.
I definitely plan to be cementing pieces together which is why I want perfect cuts. Plan to build a sump and Fuge with this 5’x8’ 1/4” thick piece of plexi I got so can’t wait to get that bit and see some good results!

Last edited:
Love this bit, but boy are these routers scary to play with. Made me a new ATO sensor [emoji1688]

68a8996d95bd605b4dc2ca8640975a51.jpg

Back