Ques. (Daily Question) What is your most recent Reefing Tragedy

Cpage101

Current BRS Vice President
Officer
BRS Member
Tell us about your most recent reefing tragedy and what did you do to successfully overcome this?
IMG_4029.jpeg

Picture not mine Just for attention

Last edited:
Condolences for the above pic. Hoping the thin glass means it was a smaller tank and less of a loss.

The biggest tragedy story I've heard was a RedSea 900XXX that was dropped by the owner on delivery coming through his front door. Can you imagine?.....

Cleaned my sump and accidentally left one of the heaters standing upright rather than submerged below the water line. Fortunately, no serious damage. The firemen found the tank very cool.

Attachments

• Heater.jpeg
    Heater.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 45
Cleaned my sump and accidentally left one of the heaters standing upright rather than submerged below the water line. Fortunately, no serious damage. The firemen found the tank very cool.
yikes! that’s scary. close call there.

My first salt tank several years ago ran a CPR Bak-Pak HOB skimmer. Being new to salt I never saw the danger of a curious Turbo snail. Imagine the look on my face when as an excited rookie in the "Honeymoon" phase of a first tank, I opened the door to the basement only to smell the aroma of cooked VCR and could hear water splashing on the floor. I ran down the stairs spilling my coffee all over me and got to the last step just in time for the blue flash and popping sound coming from the ZooMed mechanical timer for the lights. The snail had blocked the return for the skimmer and it was directly over the outlet. I don't use HOB stuff anymore, and if you ever come over to my fishroom now you'll understand why ALL controllers and electrical components are mounted on the ceiling.......7 feet of vertical makes a great drip loop....lol

It's not lost on me how lucky I was here. I could have burned down the house. Didn't have a GFI at the time either.....dumb and lucky.....

My first salt tank several years ago ran a CPR Bak-Pak HOB skimmer. Being new to salt I never saw the danger of a curious Turbo snail. Imagine the look on my face when as an excited rookie in the "Honeymoon" phase of a first tank, I opened the door to the basement only to smell the aroma of cooked VCR and could hear water splashing on the floor. I ran down the stairs spilling my coffee all over me and got to the last step just in time for the blue flash and popping sound coming from the ZooMed mechanical timer for the lights. The snail had blocked the return for the skimmer and it was directly over the outlet. I don't use HOB stuff anymore, and if you ever come over to my fishroom now you'll understand why ALL controllers and electrical components are mounted on the ceiling.......7 feet of vertical makes a great drip loop....lol

It's not lost on me how lucky I was here. I could have burned down the house. Didn't have a GFI at the time either.....dumb and lucky.....
scary story right there!

Back more than 15 years ago, I watched a metal halide ballast started to smoke, then it caught on fire. Good thing was that I was right there. That spelled the starting of the end of metal halide for me. The final draw was a piece of paper accidentally touched a metal halide bulb, and that was the end of metal halide for me.

Back more than 15 years ago, I watched a metal halide ballast started to smoke, then it caught on fire. Good thing was that I was right there. That spelled the starting of the end of metal halide for me. The final draw was a piece of paper accidentally touched a metal halide bulb, and that was the end of metal halide for me.
yup they run hot

Last month:
Overflowed my ATO on one of my Nano tanks. It's a 2 gallon container and I left the rodi on for 6 hrs. I live on the 3rd floor. Water made it all the way down to the basement units and flooded them....among others. That first moment when I came home and saw my floor reflective I knew it was judgement day. Absolute nightmare

Last month:
Overflowed my ATO on one of my Nano tanks. It's a 2 gallon container and I left the rodi on for 6 hrs. I live on the 3rd floor. Water made it all the way down to the basement units and flooded them....among others. That first moment when I came home and saw my floor reflective I knew it was judgement day. Absolute nightmare
sure that was a s**% show

IMG_0131.jpeg

I had this Nuvo 20 running for a while. One night, filling up my ato reservoir, I must have bumped the back of my tank. I ended up unknowingly knocking my ink bird temp probe out of the water so it kept reading the ambient temp in the room telling my heater to run. Went down to find the entire tank cloudy and steaming. Put the probe back in and it read 109! Pretty much boiled everything! SMH!!

View attachment 202457
I had this Nuvo 20 running for a while. One night, filling up my ato reservoir, I must have bumped the back of my tank. I ended up unknowingly knocking my ink bird temp probe out of the water so it kept reading the ambient temp in the room telling my heater to run. Went down to find the entire tank cloudy and steaming. Put the probe back in and it read 109! Pretty much boiled everything! SMH!!
OMG! That’s terrible

Over the summer I forgot to fill the Alk/Calc reservoirs before vacation and my Alk crashed along with a good portion of my SPS and LPS. Tank is still recovering.
Since then, my Jebao doser decided to empty a full Alk container (32 oz) into the tank all at once. I did a 80% water change in time to keep a second disaster from occurring. I’m adding kalkwasser to my ATO now, it’s messy.

Back