Dang... Lost almost everything

Intheflesh

Non-member
Came home from a long weekend to see my kalk-top off tank empty and a bunch of skeletons 2 weeks ago. Not really sure if a switch got stuck or what. maybe I should install a second float switch for redundancies sake.

The most dissapointing thing of it all, is that for the last 2 years, my SPS were not only survivings and had great color, but they were growing too! (there was a time where I was lucky if frags would make it the night!)

I didn't test often, but I was doing weekly 10% water changes, and topping off with kalk water. No cheato, no GFO, no carbon, ATS. This system was working great for me. I found the more I fussed with dosing, and measuring, and re dosing, the less of a positive impact I would see. The small weekly water changes and kalk with maybe a monthly water test worked the best!

Its sad to see most of it go, but, I am using this as an opportunity to rebuild. I have a 57 rimless in my garage I will be setting up. I have a bunch of soft corals that survived, and a few frags that are hanging on for deal life.

The only survivors were a monti hispada, green stag w blue tips, and blue berry acro (all from greg hiller). I have a tri color thats half gone, but stabilizing.

The casuality list: Garf bonsai, strawberry shortcake, german blue digi, Purple Monster :)sorrow: one of the oldest corals i had), a nice blue mille colony, green mille colony, green slimer, Pearl Berry, ORA Wolly Green, ORA Chips, 2 Red planet variations, and, one of my favs, Mike A. Teal Stag.

Luckily, everything I lost is common enough, and with the exception of the purple monster, cheap enough to replace. I WILL rebuild.

Sorry to hear that, was the water volume too low in the main tank or the SG dropped due to the failed float switch?

Murphy strikes again! sorry to hear about your troubles. I lost a few sps when I went on vacation 3 weeks ago. The toughest was a mini colony of Nicks Red Dragon. :-(

Im not really sure. Theres a few things.

There was white precipitate all over the tank. Which makes my kalk top off the prime suspect

I am thinking the float switch may have got stuck in the closed position, so the level in the tank got too low. Then when the top off pump finally kicked on, it dumped in all the top off water. This caused an alk swing.

Second thing I am thinking: the suction cups holding the feed line in my kalk tank may have come loose, and the hose fell to the bottom of the top off tank and a bunch of the kalk paste got dumped into the tank.

That stinks! I have a Green Slimer and a BRS Red Planet you can have for free to help out. PM me when you're ready.

Thanks for the support.

The one that really bummed me out was the purple monster. People talked about how finicky it was. It survived 2 previous alk swings. I thought that it was invincible!

It's such a frustrating and sometimes depressing hobby. It makes me wonder why we are so addicted to it. I hope your surviving frags make it. Keep us posted.

To lift my spirits up, I ordered and installed a pair of wp25 on my 65. Love it.

I have them both set on 'else', and the turbulence is incredible!

Back