Did my RBTA Anemone eat my Yellow Tang?

ReefAddict

BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
Hello All. I am new to reef aquariums and am having a great time, so much to learn.

I got my RBTA a month ago and it has been doing great and has more than doubled in size.

Two weeks ago I got a small / Medium yellow tang and he hid for the first 3 days or so but since has been very active. He has been doing great and last seen about 24 hours ago and looked totally healthy.

Now he is nowhere to be found. I have looked all over and moved around some rocks. I notice (but I'm not sure) my BTA looks like his foot / belly is quite big. As I said I am not sure though. The BTA does reside in the opening of a cave that the yellow tang was often swimming in and out of.

I just did my usually feeding hoping the tang would come out of a rock somewhere, no luck. It just seems like the tang would be too big for this small anemone, but i'm just not sure.

Any help would be appreciated.

They don't usually eat fish but if it was like sick and may envoy too close I could see it pulling it into its mouth
With that being said, I have fish just disappear on occasion

Well I was wrong. Falsely accused the anemone. My yellow tang floated out of a cave on his side. He's still breathing but barely swimming is there anything I can try to do to save him?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have him in a tiny 3 gallon quarantine tank.

go out and buy garlic extract and add a couple drops to his food to entice his hunger as he needs to eat. Keep the lights on the quarantine tank on minimally and try to convert your 3g qt tank to a 20 gallon rubber made container if possible. if not possible just throw a clean blanket over the tank so he cannot see what is going on around him since we want to keep the fish as calm and healthy as possible. let us know with updates.

Thanks for the response. I dropped a little food in with him that was soaked in garlic extract. I actually put in few more drops directly in his tank. I put a towel over it. All I have available right now is this tiny 3 gal tank. I have a 15 gallon Refugium but that is connect to my main display. Do you think it is bad idea for me to put him in that? I hope he makes it through the night. Oddly enough his color looks great, but he's on his side gasping.

I just tested all my parameters in my tank everything seems spot on.

Just make sure the tank has plenty of oxygen (i.e. Water flow hitting surface) by any chance you don't have bubble in you tank from an air stone right?

Make sure the Tang's getting a good variety diet, especially with marine algae to keep its immune system up.

He didn't make it through the night. I need to figure out what happened.

Thanks all for the assistance.

Back