Different between Tubs Crayola and Chips Acro?

pvh

Non-member
Can someone tell me what's the different between the two? I got one awhile back and was told it's a tubs crayola but I can't tell the different between that and a chips acro or ORA chips.

crayolas name derrived from the type of growth tip it portrays. Turn a frag upside down, if the tip looks the same shape as a crayola crayon thats more than likely the one....

chips acro and ORA chips are one and the same.
The crayola acro originally came from Tubs,if your frag can't be traced to tubs then it is not THE crayola.
The trouble is every man and his dog are assigning these names to any old coral and it is confusing and misleading a lot of people.
The person that buys a frag who was told it was superman,rainbow,sunset,tubs crayola,watermelon chalice, then passes it on to the next person as a specific coral.

Personally i like to authenticate where my named frags come from and i will usually ask for some kind of proof or history of the frag,i will sometimes then contact the person to validate the story.
Some people don't agree with the LE corals etc and i say great each to their own,but then i see the very same people who complain passing off corals using the LE names,kind of ironic.

Personally i like to authenticate where my named frags come from and i will usually ask for some kind of proof or history of the frag,i will sometimes then contact the person to validate the story.

I've heard a number of people mention doing this. How exactly would you do that without getting it directly from tubs, tyree, etc., or maybe once removed? I would think that in the end, you are kinda just stuck taking someone's word for it, or being able to just eyeball the coral to see if it's the real deal.

I've heard a number of people mention doing this. How exactly would you do that without getting it directly from tubs, tyree, etc., or maybe once removed? I would think that in the end, you are kinda just stuck taking someone's word for it, or being able to just eyeball the coral to see if it's the real deal.

yes sometimes it is near impossible after the coral has passed through many hands. But it can still be done with a bit of homework(its actually kind of fun).You just need to back track
Here is an example of a response i got from someone i emailed.

and you will usually find that the people who are selling the real deal frags are happy to respond because they feel the same way about it you do.

Hey, yes I just started to farm some coral for ^%&$&$#$#^$& in
&%*%^(&). I sold them a good sized frag of my tyree red
watermelon
with in the past 2 weeks. It's the real deal for sure. If you go to
Tyree's website, I'm the dave it mentions there, this is the email
mentioned
there, but I guess you already know that, otherwise I'm not sure how
you got
my email addy. I bought this from Hugo about 1 1/2 years ago before it
became an LE. In conjunction w/Hugo, Steve made this the LE that it is
today. I bought the main colony, which is why I'm listed on the
website,
otherwise he doesn't list 2 party links on his site, just the person
who has
the goods, in this case me. Hugo only kept I think three frags off the
mother, and Tyree got 2. My colony was about baseball sized at that
time.
I have only sold 4 frags off my colony, one which was bigger than a
silver
dollar last spring on eBay for $950, and haven't fragged it since. I
know
that almost for certain people saying they have the true red watermelon
are
not being honest because if they did have it, chances are they got it
from
me and I have not made many frags of it and because this grows kind of
slow.
Thanks for asking though, I have several requests for it off Tyree's
site,
and people ask me the same thing you are doing now, but lucky you gets
good
news. You are the only person that I have been able to actually verify
has
the orginal red watermelon who isn't my friend or know personally. I
know
for a fact it's much more rare than the orginal, it's just sad people
lie.

Well, thanks for asking. I hope you like it and I promise you have
something no one else does. I bet Fish will be asking for some more of
that
from me soon!

Thanks and enjoy!

Dave Whitham

Last edited:
I also agree with this Liam, but if the person is sure that they did indeed get the real deal, then the above method can be used to differ it from a chips.

I will check with the seller where he got it from.

As for your method Chew...you're saying that it should look like the tip of a crayon right?

I agree it is very tough to tell the difference....

I need to address this.........Here's the kicker....If you do a search for Tubs crayola & you go to jonhs old site (AKA TUBS). You will see a pic of the original colony.......

Here's one link..
http://www.exoticreefs.us/er_orig/repository/tubs/tubs_crayola.html

Here's another:
http://www.exoticreefs.us/er_orig/farmer_tubs.html

Above link it has three different pics that look very different than the Tubs "crayola's" that are floating around....Read his little story behind the tubs....He claims that the Tubs has morphed into a different looking coral as a couple generations have passed...... When I first got mine it looked similar to the ORA Chips...(The chips wasn't as vivid a green though & it grows more bushy) The growth was a lot different on the Crayola. It tabled as it got bigger & the Chips didn't (even though they were in close to the same area with same flow) In Johns pic the coral has a larger space between polyps with more flesh...Less fuzzy to.....The chips is very hairy....The original pic of the tubs like I said above isn't..... But go to this site..... Below & check this out...... Here is a tubs crayola for sale online......Looks a bit hairy to me.....Kinda like the chips......Color is close too....Pics not the greatest...but you can see what I'm trying to say.....
BTW....It is very hard to tell the difference between the two when the coral is a frag & not a colony....The TC tables out once it grows out...

http://eyecatchingcoral.com/index.p...id=273&zenid=5d5bc1a4a053bad39471562309de4747

I bet if you ask this vendor for lineage...he will have it & if you research it .... you will find it checks out...... So is it the real deal then??? Is it a fake???? You can't prove it 100%.....No way possible unless you are the originator!!!!
As far as getting it from the hoss or researching the source......
I agree with Liam it is fun....T
But...that doesn't mean much of anything.....really.....think about it..... That person could still pawn off a fake...(even if they were the originator or had the original & it was traced back to the source....)
That is why if you do a search...you almost never see me selling any one of my limited edition exotics on the boards or offer them for sale.... Yeah you will find a few for sale......But if you subtract that from the amount I have in my tank ...over 30 plus LE's...It's not really a high percentage I sell of them.....

so to go deeper into this...ask yourself this question....
Like reefers don't experience mishaps with certain corals?......It can happen & it does......That is why it is always a good practice to have a back up in a fellow reefers tank in case you encounter a problem.....They have to be trustworthy people though!!!! I close to lost a few myself over the years.....Able to save just chips of my original Leng si cap....fortunatly I had one in a local reefers tank to retreive......The yellow with blue polyp tort, (after a frag episode) & The Solomon Island Tort to name a few..... I was able to save them to unexplained recession I blame on an exausted sand bed....

On the validity of sources....One new thing I do.....
I have recently decided to trip sources up to see if there story is still the same...(some vendors & others who claim to be selling the real deal) I save all dialogue from previous interactions with these people in a seperate file... I've caught a few with a different story.........Interesting nevertheless...When someone lies...over time the story will change.....If it's the truth....it will be the same story....

Just cause you buy it from the source or traced it back to them...your never ever gonna be 100% !!!! Unless your the originator....Or found the original peice.....There are so many things that first come into the wholesalers that have never been seen or collected before....What....do you think only one of those corals exist in the wild????? If so do you think that cites would allow them to remove it???? Would people collecting take the risk??? No way!!!!
Comon people....... Once they see the demand for said coral....they go back to that area to retreive more....& they will find more.....That is why there are so many watermelon chalices around now!!!!

Look at dendros, duncans, cyphastrea, acans...& whatever the next one that will come out as rare...a year later they are common.....

I'm sure you guys never thought you would hear this from one of the guys in the club with so so many exotics. I pay a dear price for them too I may add.....What it boils down to in the end.....I don't purchase them to grow out & make a profit from them......(as some reefers intensions are right from the acquisition...) I buy & grow them out for myself....period.....Have I been burned before or has someone attempted to burn me......(yes....more so in this club...but I have caught online vendors in lies before.....)

Do I publicly humiliate them....Nope....I keep it in the back of my head...& never trust them again....That is the nature of the beast.....

Sorry for the rant......I think it was time I spoke my peice.....

Thanks for lending an ear.....sorry to hyjack this thread...
B

Last edited:
Aquaman_68 said:
Have I been burned before or has someone attempted to burn me......(yes....more so in this club...but I have caught online vendors in lies before.....)

B

that comment blows me away

In the end, they all came from (or started in) the ocean - no matter who names them.
If they look good - buy it and if you want it - buy it. The name (ORA, Tyree, Tubs) just adds a higher price tag.

Please !!!!! where the coral came from.. we are not buying AKA puppies here.
All my corals originally came from the ocean, some stopped off in a reefers tank and got fragged... LOL

You guys crack me up...:D

No hate mail please --- I was just kidding ! :p

Last edited:
In the end, they all came from (or started in) the ocean - no matter who names them.
If they look good - buy it and if you want it - buy it. The name (ORA, Tyree, Tubs) just adds a higher price tag.

Please !!!!! where the coral came from.. we are not buying AKA puppies here.
All my corals originally came from the ocean, some stopped off in a reefers tank and got fragged... LOL

You guys crack me up...:D

No hate mail please --- I was just kidding ! :p

i don't see the difference in wanting to know the bloodlines of a coral or a dog.

One mans dogs are another mans corals.
If you see what i mean

Last edited:
I think these chips looks different than the crayolas below:D

Attachments

• chips.jpg
    chips.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 129
Back