Dinoflagellates help

Nickt

Non-member
This is my second round with this crap. I'm about to loose help. I beat it by dosing hydrogen peroxide the last time. My corals had just recovered from the last time. Now it's back. Please info

what are you doing?

mainly you stop doing everything you would to fight algae. no carbon, no water changes, no phosphate removers. You want to elevate you PH 8.4. Dripping lime/kalkwater is good for this. And reduced light cycle. once you see it dying back light out. and I mean lights out. No sun or room lights. 3days minimum. I have had to push it 5 days but that is for a very extreme case.

If its not overtaking you tank do everything including light out right off.

There are many ways to eradicate dinos and I've read there are over 1500 types. I did almost the exact opposite of what delta recommended.

How I beat them.

Run the finest filter sock you can get your hands on (clean regularly)
Run as much carbon as you can (the dinos can be toxic)
Run a UV sterilizer, the dinos release into the water column at night
siphon out as much as you can before starting (I probably did a few 20-30% water changes)
I dosed KZ Coral Snow at night as it claims to bind to the dinos
I dosed lanthum cloride to reduce p04
I dosed twice the recommended dosage of phyto plankton to compete with the dinos

The dinos were just about gone in 24 hours. I think my only mistake was not turning the lights out for the 2 days while I was waiting for the UV to arrive.

If you have a few days to kill you can read the horror stories here-http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2307000

I am getting ready to give up lol. Have any of you tried dosing with hydrogen?

Understand MoeK dubbed it the scourge of death and rightfully so years ago.

The longer you wait the worse the fight will be. If you are at the point you can see them forming in the water column at lights on then they are rooted pretty deep. if within 10minutes the coat everything in the tank you are where I was with them and its no easy task.

If you beat them back and they return after you stopped fighting them, what ever you did, do it harder and faster. Get them on the run and keep them on the run. You say the returned what time frame are we talking? weeks, months or years. if its week or a month or two you didn't beat them all the way back. So go back to what worked plus lights out to step up your game.

If you get them in control and they return, as soon as you see a hint of them blast them.

So what i did before was dose hydrogen and lights out for 3 days. It's been about a month it's back. My corals I don't think could handle another three days lights out. I'm trying to avoid that. I am dosing with hydrogen again.

Back