Display tank Cipro treatment

Drichards

BRS Member
Has anyone treated their entire display tank with Cipro? If so was there collateral damage or any ill effects on your inhabitants?

I did it this way. A second time I increased the cipro dose 2-3 fold and dosed the tank every day. Also no ill effects.

Yes, several times. No collateral damage. All the talk that cipro will kill the tanks microbiome and cause problems is complete bullshit.
I read that same article. Just needed more than one person to tell me it was safe for me to pull the trigger lol

I did it this way. A second time I increased the cipro dose 2-3 fold and dosed the tank every day. Also no ill effects.

I'm actually treating for anemones. I believe the concentration is much more than this article according to "Minhs" anemone protocol

Many types pf bacteria infections can cause brown jelly.
It is safe to do full tank treatment with Cipro. Now more and more people treating their anemone especially carpet anemone with Cipro. Majority of bacteria in the tank can’t possibly be wiped out.

Put it in a simple way, just like taking antibiotics for human, the population of diseases causing bacteria are far less than the total population of bacteria in human body, like 1 to 1 billion if a number needs to be tossed around. If the antibiotic kill 1 bad bacteria along with 1000 good bacteria, the impact is still pretty small for the total population of bacteria in the body.

Of course , if the population of the disease causing bacteria accounted for a large percentage of total population of bacteria in the body, taking antibiotics may not be a solution at that point, funeral service (aka a tank crash) becomes more appropriate.

Above statement is for entertainment purpose. Please don’t grill me while arming with scientific literatures.

I started treating today. At an anemone dose level, for the entire tank. I will update on how it goes. So far I've heard no negative results from anyone who have done it although they're dosing amounts differ. I have a 50 gallon system probably more like 45 with all the rock and sand. I did two 500 mg pills. I'll continue this for the next 6 days. I will say even after the few hours that I did it, the anemone in question seems to have more life. It's moved from the dark spot in the back of the tank into a more lighted area. Also he just looks fuller and happier. Not extending fully but hopefully on the right path. Thanks Dong for the analogy. I hope to have a great end result! If I can bring this guy back I will be so happy

Day #1

Attachments

• 20220721_184906.jpg
    20220721_184906.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 255
Any updates on this?
I've done it several times now. I find it's short-lived. No collateral damage, however things would Puff back up for a few months and then decline again. Also if you run UV and turn it back on, 24hrs later your water is going to turn green so be prepared for Mass water changes. I'm not convinced it's the true path of success

You are exactly right that Cipro full tank treatments are not a long term solution. The reason that the water turn green is due to massive die off of beneficial bacteria that process nutrients and micro algae starts to take over the job and causes algae bloom.

Back