DIY powerhead hangers?

NanoReefer

25g Waterbox
what is the best way to support a powerhead off the rim of a tank using acrylic. Will aquamend epoxy bond to acrylic well enough, I don't have any weld-on. (I am going to be at the Dec meeting tho ;) )

I live in an apartment and have very limited access to powertools :( , but I do have an acrylic cutting tool (score and break) and some scrap acrylic. Would model car glue work if the epoxy is no good for acrylic?

This is for my sump area so it doesn't have to be pretty.

Specifications:
For aquariums up to 70 gallons.
400 gph (max) 175 gph in reverse flow.
20 Watts.
4'6" Cord.

Size:
5" long x 2 1/4" wide x 4 3/4" high.

Thanks guys/gals
Steve

In the past I have taken a strip 1/4" plexiglass and lightly heated it with a propane torch. Then when it is soft wrap the uper end over a small piece of 2x4 or similar shape to create a hook like this [_____

Then I would drill 2 to 4 holes near the bottom for the powerhead and secure using zip ties.

HTH

Syris, I was thinking about something like that, can the acrylic be heated in boiling water instead of a torch?

Thanks
Steve

FWIW, I've bent narrow pieces of acrylic by heating with a match... you basically move the lighted match back and forth along the line where you want to bend, until it becomes soft, and then create the bend by pushing down along a hard surface, like a ruler or the edge of a countertop... the acrylic may become slightly darkened but it works just fine.

Nuno

NanoReefer said:
Syris, I was thinking about something like that, can the acrylic be heated in boiling water instead of a torch?

Thanks
Steve

Acrylic forms at 350 degrees, so boiling water probably won't work. For a small piece of Acrylic I expect a butane lighter or even a candle might work, as Nuno says.

As for glue, Aquamend doesn't really bond to anything smooth, so I don't think that will work. I'd try crazyglue or model cement. I think either would probably do the trick.

Nate

I think there is a plastic shop -in- woburn.
If you're ever in the somerville area, I can give you some #4 or #16 but I only have large containers, so it would be "here is some glue on your item", not "here is some glue to keep forever".

I am up at Altec plastics all the time, and I can get pretty much any type of weldon known to man. I'll be right there today. I'll pick some up if I remember.

Patriot plastics is in Woburn, but they're not really that useful for the DIY-er. They don't have a scrap room that you can pick through, although they did take a look around for what I was looking for when I stopped by there. Very friendly, just not that useful.

Cool, Thanks guys. I will see what I can whip up, I can get some heat and I have a strip long enough to bend without glueing. ( I can bend a lip for the tank instead of glueing one in place) I can take it to a friends house to drill a hole or two.

Awesome, thanks for some inspiration, sometimes the old noggin skips a cog. LOL

Steve

P.S. Piscevore, where is Altec located?

Altec is located on B street in South Boston.

You can buy a cheap propane torch at HomeDepot to bend acrylic with, that's what I've used.

Patriot has always been nice, they cut all the pieces for my sump and refuge. Your right they don't really have a scrap bin though.

dedfish,
Will Patriot cut all pieces to specification with a bondable edge or was that just a 1z type of deal?
-Cliff

For scrap acrylic (usually just small rectangles) JD Freeman on Dorchester Ave in Dorchester is a winner.

Back