Thruster Powerhead DIY

NeverlosT

Engineer with a reefing problem
BRS Member
Hi all, I have been designing, programming, and building a thruster style powerhead for big tanks.

I have it pretty much sorted. Just need a tank to test in, and im not sure how quiet it will be (is quiet in my garage bucket but…)

Check it out. Id say at 16v its about as powerful as two mp60s. Its like a panta rhei ecm63 or abyzz afc 150 but for 1/10 the price.

I have programmed it to do random (reefcrest), ramp up doen, and steady mode.

Now for pics!
IMG_2397.jpeg

IMG_2395.jpeg
IMG_2394.jpeg

Just getting electronics packaged now so it doesnt look so mad scientist.

I am in southern RI. Anyone close have a big tank? I might head to URI if not.

Would be great if u could film this in action.
Right now i start it with one hand, hold it in bucket in other hand, and can only turn it up to 3/4 thrust without emptying the bucket. The thrust is massive. Thats why i programmed in a max thrust you set with a potentiometer (knob).

Also, worth noting. These are no mp10 or nero. This is significant power. My new tank is a beast to handle lots of variable flow.

What im saying is, i would not run this on a rimless tank without bracing. I think you'd fail a seam over time.

I have a few other ideas for this setup. Like might make a wavebox, or a gyre generator next.

I am interested!! My tank is currently stocked with a good amount of coral and the shark so I kinda would wanna see this pump in person and play with it before it went in the tank might wanna test and take it apart also but thats me over cautious with to much invested in the new tank.. I wouldn't be worried about to much flow as 2 mp60 are maxed and might need more flow soon but have 2 more 60s....

Alex G has a massive system and has made similar pumps for it. Not idea where in the video he discussing then though

I remember seeing Alex talk about his reeflo powered wavemaker and the motor block with a propeller based powerheads. Both are also awesome ideas. The motorblock with modified impeller to propeller is compelling for big systems, but would inevitably be much larger than this execution.

Bolts for assembly and silicone damper come today!

Oh and so folks dont think I am totally sleeping on ever actually building a fishtank, I got my basement work area shelving and countertop in yesterday, finished reinforcing the floor under the tank, installed two dedicated 20A circuits, and mapped where I need to cut into the wall to put them in. Tank is almost done at AGE, I need to go weld up the stand next, and pick a return pump. ATI straton pro 204 lights are here, and may be the finest lighting I have ever seen, time and data will tell...

I remember seeing Alex talk about his reeflo powered wavemaker and the motor block with a propeller based powerheads. Both are also awesome ideas. The motorblock with modified impeller to propeller is compelling for big systems, but would inevitably be much larger than this execution.

Bolts for assembly and silicone damper come today!

Oh and so folks dont think I am totally sleeping on ever actually building a fishtank, I got my basement work area shelving and countertop in yesterday, finished reinforcing the floor under the tank, installed two dedicated 20A circuits, and mapped where I need to cut into the wall to put them in. Tank is almost done at AGE, I need to go weld up the stand next, and pick a return pump. ATI straton pro 204 lights are here, and may be the finest lighting I have ever seen, time and data will tell...
Nice, can't wait to see the system. What size tank are you going with?

the tank is about 300g. 72" long, 30" front to back, 32" tall. PVC bottom, acrylic eurobrace top, stainless frames, low iron 3/4 inch glass sides, modular marine overflow.

Sump is advanced acrylics PVC, skimmer is RE Bubble King Deluxe 200, still need to buy UV and return pumps. Then get rock cooking.

Magnets in. Got 1/8” silicone material to go between thruster housing and inside glass. Felt fad for outer part to outer glass. Only pinched myself about 8 times with these magnets!

Almost have electronics package done! Just a bit more work.

IMG_2424.jpeg

IMG_2426.jpeg

Heres a short vid describing the electronics thus far.

Can hear motor in it but my garage is a silent place and the bucket magnifies things. I think it will be much better in a running tank. I might try to test this weekend, ill vid if i do.

Back