DIY Rock

yup should work my buddy used to make rocks for his 180gal... still would need to let them cycle to enhance the natural bacteria
he also used salt to make the crevices and rinsed and soak for a week until all the salt dissolved

You dont need to do all that! get the portland cement and a few bags of crushed oyster shell. Mix it together so its wet but not to wet. Lay out some cardboard to the size of your tank. Now take the slop and build. It should stay plyable not to collapse on you. I did the sand thing before and didnt like the results at all. Do what lee said with the salt. that siote says to put it in your tank. Do not do this right away. The rock must be allowed to cure for 2-3days then you must soak it for another 6 weeks to leach out any silicates that remain. IMO this is the best way to go. I will be making a batch for my 72 basement tank next week, ill post pix for you.

I used muffin pans to make the rocks shaped like the bottom of a muffin. I am going to use them like big frag disk type things. I want zoas and acans to encrust on them. I already put one in that I soaked in vinegar for 12 hours and then in water for about a day, should I be worried?

Back