Do you change the bulk head on Rubbermaid stock tanks?

nickoz

Non-member
I just put in a Rubbermaid stock tank for a sump and I am noticing, after being filled, that the included bulkhead is pretty cheap. I have a small leak, I just salted the water hoping the salt will plug the leak, until I can drain the tank and replace the bulkhead.

I am wondering if most people use the supplied bulkhead or change it with a better one.

-nick

I was able to get the one that came with my tank to seal, but I had to fiddle with it for a while.

I have two 150g and had problems getting both of them to seal well but fortunately, was able to do it. I added resorted to additional teflon tape around the inner bulkhead and also added some to the "outer" rim of the bulkhead if that makes any sense to you (it isn't a traditional bulkhead design). In my case, it was a real pain but eventually, they both sealed.

I used a router to take out the slots for the factory bulkhead and replaced it with one I got from marc at fishy business worked excellent. I think the best place to start is a smooth surface then a good quality bulkhead. As with any compression\gasket plumbing do not over tighten. If you have over tightened the bulkhead you may be able to get a water tight fit after taking apart but you may not.

Back