Drill my tank!

Moe_K

Stabbed by Foulke
I have a reef ready 125 that probably should be drilled to install my Oceans Motion 4 way. The can for the Oceans Motion will be under the tank in a closed loop. I'm not sure if the lines should go through the bottom of the tank or through a side. The back is 99% not going to work.
I've never drilled a tank, nor dealt with plumbing a sump. I'll need help.
I have no idea what size bulkheads to use. I'll need a buddy or two to come over and drill for me. I can provide food & beer.
I want to get the tank started by 31Mar05.
Please help.

Hmmmmmmmm

Moe, I believe all RR tanks have tempered bottoms which cannot be drilled or come with a sticker on them stating they are tempered. I don't know how they drill them at the factory if they are ( or if they do????) Be interested to hear someone else chime in here.

If they've already drilled the bottom at assembly, the bottom cant be drilled again?

I'm already thinkging that for structural stability, I should go thru the side...

Moe,
Best advice I can give is to plan your outlets for the OM. Where do you want them? Also take into consideration your rock structure. I prefer having some outlets in the front blowing slightly towards the rock. See my work in progress here. I have since made the loc-line in the front smaller 2 links I think. It looks much better. I didn't think I would like all 4 outlets on the back pointing at the front. If it was an in wall I would have definitely drilled the ends.

Jeff

Moe_K said:
If they've already drilled the bottom at assembly, the bottom cant be drilled again?

I'm already thinkging that for structural stability, I should go thru the side...

That is the thought I am left with at this point, Moe. Maybe someone will chime in & correct me if I'm wrong. Hey Scott M..........Where are you?
(he's drilled quite a many tanks , Moe)

Brian, I thank you for raising this issue. It's just the kind of thing I need to know before going forward.
sweat.gif

I would drill the sides assuming it is on a closed loop. I would do one high and one lower to get good movement through out the whole water column. Where is the link to the tank thread, I know I've seen it some where.

Last edited:
Yeah I just found it. If it were me I'd drill the sides like I said, one towards the top the other in the mid to lower section. I'd also put the OM on a CL with a good sized pump. You could always put another hole or two on the back wall for your return if you wanted more of the swiss cheese look, but then you have to worry about the siphon. There are some pretty good options people have come up with on RC and the OM website. Just my 2 cents.

skatezen said:
I have $10 says Scott is still at Ryan's.
you owe someone 10.00 :D

I was at clamms by 1 working on the 92g.
still here......

As for the tank.
who mde it? is there a tag? an anchor symbol? date? if its a newer AGA Reef ready or oceanic reef ready (RR from the factory) then it's tempered. they drill them first, then temper them. you can always check with polarized lenses.
you'll have to drill the sides or the back.i can give you a hand.
as for size? I'd katch the outlet size of the OM. no need making bigger holes than you have too

:D

Last edited:
Hey Moe - I've been struggling with the same question for my new tank. Mine is acrylic so I don't have any limitations on drilling per se, but I worry about future flexibility of drilling through the bottom. I was thinking about drilling through the bottom and hiding the pvc in the rockwork. I've seen this on others' tanks and it looks really cool. But what if you want to change the aquascape in the future? Also, you really have to plan out your aquascape ahead of time - with no flexiliblity in making any changes to it. After much deliberation with Marc, we've decided to drill through the sides and back. Now if I could ever get the tank delivered... :rolleyes:

Aquaman_68 said:
Moe, I believe all RR tanks have tempered bottoms which cannot be drilled or come with a sticker on them stating they are tempered. I don't know how they drill them at the factory if they are ( or if they do????) Be interested to hear someone else chime in here.

they are drilled before they are tempered.

Moe:

I will be glad to help too if you need an extra hand (or drill). Keep me posted.....

Craig

Many people place th OM 4 above the tank. Here are some pictures of Dan Libby's 210g set up. He drilled the holes in the side because it is built into the wall. I believe he used a dremel with a diamond bit.

Attachments

• om1.jpg
    om1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 224
Back