Drilling 180Gal AGA 1/2 thick glass

Pinkskunk

Non-member
Hi all,

I just bought this 45mm holesaw for 1" bulkhead thread x thread.

I also bought this drill guide from sears.

I just picked up a brand new 180 AGA (Aqueon) aquarium that appear to be a 1/2 thick glass.

I am ready to drill this tank but I am extremely nervous :: I am going to drill 2 holes on one end of the tank about 3" from the top.

any pointers? any tips? i have the tank stand on its end now and everything is ready to go but I am so freaking nervous right now ::

how long does it take to get 1 hole that is 1/2 thick?

Patience, patience, patience.............. Whatever you do, don't get impatient and push down at all. Just let the drill do the work and you should be fine.

Get some plumbers putty and roll it out and make a circle around the hole. This way you can poor water onto the tank area that is being drilled and the putty will hold the water to cool the bit and glass. Bring the drill up to speed and start drilling at an angle so the bit does not just start sliding around all over the place. Make sure you place a towel down to catch the piece of glass that is going to fall when the hole is done. There are youtube videos of it to give you an idea too. Let the drill do the work!!!!!!!

I've drilled a lot of tanks from 10 gallons up to 210 and it is really no big deal after the first one. A couple of tips mentioned before about the towel and the plumbers putty are good. MAKE SURE that when you are drilling through the glass, that the drill is dead nuts level so that the bit basically comes through the backside of the glass all at the same time otherwise you can chip the glass pretty good. I would put a piece of duct tape on the opposite side of the hole to try to mitigate that in the event the bit is crooked. Let the weight of the drill do all the work until you are almost through, then take most of the weight off and barely tickle your way through the cut otherwise the weight of the drill may cause a chip as well. Good luck and hope this helps. J.

gaah... i was crapping my pants just drilling a free 20 gallon.... nevermind a big 180

an old excerpt from when i drilled my aga 180 back in 2010

used a wooden template with a notch for the water and a 5 gallon bucket to drip. drilling went fast
IMG_7401.jpg

IMG_7409.jpg

overflow was quick as well
weldon 16 for the acrylic. and siliconed it in. i taped the glass but wished i remembered to tape the overflow box but the bead was smooth as i have done enough tubs now.
IMG_7413.jpg

used some old laminate flooring for bracing to hold it until the silicone dries
IMG_7414.jpg

Back