Drilling 30G Oceanic tank

nanoguru

Boston, MA
Ok...I never thought I'd say this....but I want to drill my 30G oceanic cube.
Not the bottom tempered glass, but the back glass for drain.

That back glass is not tempered glass right??
1 hole for 1" drain.

Problem: my tank is already filled. I am clueless. I only have wireless Dremel - no bit for drilling glass (I could buy one).
I could lower the waterline to the level I need to drill - How do I prevent glass from falling into the tank?

Anyone with experience in this field?

OR

should I just go with an overflow? I'm having a difficult time trying to find one that will fit my requirements - size appropriate for my tank, sump, skimmer, pump etc.

Suggestion from experienced reefers would be great
jae

There is risk involved with drilling any tank - full or empty
If you are going to drill full, make sure you are prepared for the worst - breaking tank

There are people who have drilled while full, simply lowering the water level
Duct tape, and wood were used inside the tank to keep glass bits from going in the tank. Also floating some saran wrap on the surface & taping it to the side would be a great idea

I haven't used a dremel - slow going.
You do need to verify that the side is not tempered. I think there is some sort of test involving polarized sunglasses??

I drilled a cube for Armando (empty) - if that was Oceanic then there wasn't any problem drilling the "back". I used a drill bit

I'll pay 20$ to anyone who has the right tools to do the 1 hole for me...
since I can't move my tank...they'll have to bring the tool to do it...

one more quick question - is tempered glass drillable or normal glass drillable?

the oceanic 30cube had a sticker on the bottom that said "tempered glass, do not drill" but I'm not sure if that was applied to the bottom or the whole tank.

anybody have a 30 cube drilled?

nanoguru said:
I'll pay 20$ to anyone who has the right tools to do the 1 hole for me...
since I can't move my tank...they'll have to bring the tool to do it...

one more quick question - is tempered glass drillable or normal glass drillable?

the oceanic 30cube had a sticker on the bottom that said "tempered glass, do not drill" but I'm not sure if that was applied to the bottom or the whole tank.

anybody have a 30 cube drilled?
the bottom only as last time I check.
Drilling tank with water in it is very dangerous. May sure your renter insurance cover the potential damage to the house. Overflow is not that bad after all.

Last edited:
anybody?

ok - if anyone has the tools I can borrow to drill the tank (diamond drill bit for 1" bulk head...so that's 1 3/4" inch drill bit I think)...I would greatly appreciate it...I'll pay 10$ for the borrower fee

and pray that tank will be safe and sound!

Back