Durso pipe out side of tank

mufflerguy

Non-member
Just wondering if anyone has a durso setup out the side (near bottom ) of their tank. I have a 50 gallon tank I want to hook into my current system as a frag tank but cant drill the bottom (tempered glass). I was thinking about drilling on the side down low & putting a 90 up to a durso pipe. I would then build an overflow box around it to stop obstructions from entering the pipe.
I'm just concerned about the flow rate as opposed to a conventional thru the bottom setup.

Thanks, Matt

matt if you think it might restrict the return buy using 1 have 2 holes drilled .its not going to cost much more and if somthing gets in one like a snail you won't have a flood.thinking about it most returns go into a 90 under the tank anyways.

like these?

Attachments

• DSCF0660%20%28Small%29.JPG
    DSCF0660%20%28Small%29.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 179
her is mine 30 breeder,no noise at all it will be for sale buy this weekend $100.00

Attachments

• 30g plumbing.jpg
    30g plumbing.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
so you have used this setup before & it flows just as well as a thru the bottom durso?
Many times;)

You will lose less flow on a return drain through a 90 than the other way around.

thanks for all the info guys...
Clam man, do you think that your 2 drains pictured would flow better with the initial intake facing up (the way you have it now) or facing down with an overflow box around it.
It is easier to do in the way you have it, & I would do it this way as long as there is no difference in flow. I am hoping one 1" drain would suffice. I will be able to control flow with a ball valve into the tank.
Also , those " screen fittings?? " on the intakes should prevent any snails, etc... from causing an obstruction, right?
Thanks , Matt

Clam man, do you think that your 2 drains pictured would flow better with the initial intake facing up (the way you have it now) or facing down with an overflow box around it.
my tank has have been running fine as is no noise no gurgle you can tell when to back the flow off buy the noise .mine are facing up to pull any skim from the top to the sump to get skimmed out.I would'nt waste my time with a skimmer box for a frag tank but thats up to you.screen fitting work great.I would go with 2 1inch but thats just me back up the back ups.

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back