Dwarf Golden Moray Eel

Brian92

I was wondering if anyone had a golden dwarf moray eel. Its definetly a longshot. If anyone has ever seen or knows anything about them I'd be interested to hear what anyone has to say about them.

Brian,

What are you looking to know?
I have cared for them several times. And had a maint. customer that I cared for for a few years. Great eels, awesome color and personality.

Thanks

Well really I was wondering if

What would be the minimum tank size for one?

I have a 20 long with an aquac nano skimmer no fish yet its 6 months old with zoas only.

If not I would be able to upgrage up to a 33 long.

Also what did you feed them?

Did they hide alot?

Are they difficult to keep alive?

I found dwarf for only $180 or a small pair for $330

No real plans on buying one just yet cause I'm worried if the tank woould be big enough.

Brian,

In my opinion and experience, if you can go with the 33long, then I recommend going with that. If you get a small one a 20 long would be ok, but I think it would do much better in a 33long. Plus the larger tank volume will help to dilute waste a bit, and be a little more stable. As they are an eel an will create some amount of waste. more than your average reef fish. As for feeding, sometimes they can be tough to feed at first. I always try and feed live saltwater shrimp at first this helps to get a feeding response. Once settled and eating, the best thing is a mixed diet. I have fed them Krill, Prawn, Silverside, Cockle, Squid, Clam, fresh stripers :) pieces. I have had several that heve fed from a stick. be sure to skim well or do good size water changes to compensate for the waste. I would feed them every third day, by the 5th day if not fed, they would go looking for food. And definitely revert to eel instincts and eat things they may normally not touch, like little reef fish or ornamental shrimp.

Make sure you keep a tight lid with NO (not even tiny) holes that it could escape through. Or it will. Especially in such a shallow tank. I have kept them in 54 corner, 55gal, and 75gal. (escaped from the 55gal)

If you can keep good water parameters and a tight lid, I think the 33long would be perfectly fine.

Well, since I am a vendor, and a sponsor, that is a loaded question.
But all in all that is a good price.

Paying $180 for a fish from ebay is just insane, IMO.
Spend the extra and get it from a good local fish store that practices quarantining and have them quarantine it for a few extra weeks.

Paying $180 for a fish from ebay is just insane, IMO.
Spend the extra and get it from a good local fish store that practices quarantining and have them quarantine it for a few extra weeks.

I would definetly want to get one from an LFS but I thought I was lucky to find one even on the internet because they are so rare. Anyone know any stores in Massachusetts that have ever had these in stock?

Last edited:
Oh you're a sponsor. I had no idea. Do you ever get dwarfs in at you're store. Sorry I had no idea.

Brian, that's no problem at all. As a matter of fact, it does not bother or offend me at all. People can choose to purchase their items anywhere they wish. I am merely here to give my opinion and experience.
As for me having them, well we are not actually going to be open until Sept. but this is something that we will be stocking. And anyone that knows me, can vouch I have had some nice ones in, at some of the stores that I used to work at.
But remember, just because a local store does not have one in, does not mean that they can't get you one. Most of the good LFS will be able to special order you one, if they don't have one in stock. And as mentioned above, it is not a bad idea to pay a bit more to ensure the health and quality of the specimen.

Brian, that's no problem at all. As a matter of fact, it does not bother or offend me at all. People can choose to purchase their items anywhere they wish. I am merely here to give my opinion and experience.
As for me having them, well we are not actually going to be open until Sept. but this is something that we will be stocking. And anyone that knows me, can vouch I have had some nice ones in, at some of the stores that I used to work at.
But remember, just because a local store does not have one in, does not mean that they can't get you one. Most of the good LFS will be able to special order you one, if they don't have one in stock. And as mentioned above, it is not a bad idea to pay a bit more to ensure the health and quality of the specimen.

Cool I won't be looking for an eel until around december so I'll have to check out your store when it opens thanks for the help.

I read your sponsor section and it looks like it will be a really cool place!!!

Check out nyaquatic dot com. I have ordered from them before and have had no problems.

They have one for $149.95 plus they only charge $15.00 for shipping to MA

Back