Effects of treating entire system with Hypo

stevenp

(not so) Young MC
I have what appears to be the early stages of another Brooklynella outbreak. I went through the same thing about a year and a half ago and lost nearly everything in a matter of 2 days.

This time I'm considering treating the entire display instead of setting up a QT. I have quite a few fish and doubt I could catch all of them, and even if I did I don't have a tank laying around that's large enough to house them all.

Things I know:
1) All inverts will die if not removed, including pods etc.
2) All corals will die if not removed

Things I don't know:
1) Will nuisance algae die? This would be a plus since I have bubble algae.
2) Will I experience a cycle from dead organics?

I would appreciate some comments from people who've had experience doing this, or could point out some factual evidence on why or why not I should even be considering this.

If it's brook it's bad!

Does hypo even beat Brook? I don't know, but I thought it didn't?

Can you remove all corals/inverts fast? If so, that's really extreme but it might save some fish if your lucky and treat fast. Not saying I know it would work out well, just saying that from all I've read, brook is really bad and kills fast, am I correct?

If you can get your fish out, I can drop off the 38 gallon I have down stairs for you. I have had great luck catching fish with using clear plastic containers and put food in it with a baster or pipette.

Sorry to hear it, you were finally getting some more fish :(

My main concern would be the massive die-off of inverts/pods/micro fauna would mean that large (50%) water changes every day would be required for at least a week before the (mostly nuked) bio-filtration could catch up again. As in, yes, your tank would cycle again.

if you need anything, I've got pretty much everything you need for a QT setup, so PM me if you're trying to save corals, etc. I even have a t-5 light that would keep them alive while you hypo the tank

Thanks for the replies so far.

Mike, I might take you up on that.

Jay, how big is the tank?

I'm not sad, I'm not disappointed, I'm just extremely angry. I swear if I lose everything again I'm walking away from this hobby for good.

If it's brook it's bad!

Does hypo even beat Brook? I don't know, but I thought it didn't?

Can you remove all corals/inverts fast? If so, that's really extreme but it might save some fish if your lucky and treat fast. Not saying I know it would work out well, just saying that from all I've read, brook is really bad and kills fast, am I correct?

I'm pretty sure what I had before was Brook, and hypo worked wonders on the only two fish I was able to rescue in time.

Yea,

I really am not that well informed re; brook, but that's what I thought I read. I'd just say that I'm suggesting double checking on what's reccomended for treating brook if your not already %100 certain.

Yea,

I really am not that well informed re; brook, but that's what I thought I read. I'd just say that I'm suggesting double checking on what's reccomended for treating brook if your not already %100 certain.

I hear what you're saying. I forgot to note that I dosed Formalin in addition to hypo on the last go-around. I'm not doing anything drastic yet, but just getting ready for what I might wake up to tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Mike, I might take you up on that.

Jay, how big is the tank?

I'm not sad, I'm not disappointed, I'm just extremely angry. I swear if I lose everything again I'm walking away from this hobby for good.

errr. a contained 12g with light, a 40 breeder, a 55 that was a sump, a 70 gallon rubbermade tub, or a 150.:eek:

Whichever one you want, they'll just need a washdown.

I have metal stands for the 40 and 55....and a cellar stand for the 150 made out of dimensional lumber

Jay, I grabbed Mike's 38g so I think I'm good for right now. Thanks for offering though.

It's still only one fish so far, my female Banggai. Swollen gills, very very heavy breathing, deteriorating dorsal fin, and what appears to be the start of the 'tell-tale' sheen/slime. This fish was a picture of health only a week ago, when she laid eggs for the male to carry.

Last edited:
Back