Experiences with Coral Banded Shrimp

~Flighty~ said:
I don't know if mine is the source of my cleanup crew dissapearance, but I think I'll try to remove him. I never see him anyway. Any ideas short of spearfishing?

Maybe mine just likes me, but I can scoot him to a corner of the tank with my hand and "lift" him out of the tank, I do the same with my Zebra dartfish as well. OTOH hiding spaces are at a premium in my tank as I keep most of my LR in my sump, this makes capture easier. A tank with Tons of LR in the display may require creative thinking or late nights with a manual trap.

Maybe a bamboo stick (ka-bob style) with a meaty treat to entice the CBS away from cover and bring the net in from behind (most CBS are noteably starving all the time :D ). Some times having the net in the tank for a few minutes prior makes every one comfortable with its presence and easier to catch. After a while the critters equate net or trap with quick movements towards them and may cause some kind of predetory fight or flight reaction. Well that's more than I was going to say, hehehe.

My CBS lived with a Pep shrimp with no prob, but does like to eat small bristleworms, doh. Also the first place mine goes at feeding times, is directly to the corals. The bugger scours all the corals for snacks and then procedes to the hermits and red serpent star(who gives a good fight and usually gets his supper). Of course I only have a 20L, so I think the smaller tank is bringing out some aggresion, that may be lost in a very large system with more room to forage and a larger territory. Hmmm, guess I had some more, lol. I'm done, time to crank out some RO and mix some salt for tomorrows water change.

I have a CBS lives with a cleaner shrimp. When the CBS was intruduced into the tank, it argued with the cleaner for several days. Then the cleaner stays on the left side of the tank and the CBS stays on the right. They never cross the middle since. All pepper mint and a lot of small snails were gone after the CBS moved in.

By the way, my CBS is visible all the time in the 55 gallon reef. He is either picking the sand bed or sitting on a piece of rock doing nothing. The guys is getting big and moted several time already so I think he is OK in term of feeding.

I wonder if, like so many other reef thingies, there is more than one type of cbs. The stay-in-view-and-play-nice version and a hide-all-the-time-and-kill-everything kind.

Back