External Circulation pump reliability poll

I've used this brand of pumps for a min. of 3 yrs and never had one fail in that time

• Dolphin

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • AMP Master

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gorman Rupp Industries Pumps (GRI)

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Gen-X/Mak Pumps

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Iwaki Pumps American Made

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Iwaki Pumps Japanese Made

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Little Giant

• Pan World

• Poseidon Titanium

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Sequence

• Blue Line

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Greg Hiller

BRS Moderator
Staff member
BRS Member
Okay, I know I won't get too many answers on this because you need to be in the hobby for a while. I have my own list of external recirculation pumps that I think are reliable, but I've not tried many of the newer pumps that are available. This poll is ONLY for external recirculation pumps. Any I'm only concerned with reliability here, NOT noise level.

I've used Iwaki since the beginning 8yrs.

I also have PCX30 running but needs cleaning regularly

Also some of the pumps have not been around for more than 3 years.

I used a Dart Sequence for example, which is fairly new on the market (<3yrs i think).

One of them started making a high pitch noise, I've seen reports of a couple of other pumps with this problem. Good thing they have great customer service and loaner pumps available.

Gen-x PCX40 4 running 4 years without fail 2 more 2+ years without fail
Gen-x PCX30 3 running 2 years 1 fails to restart without prime
Dolphin am 2100 3 running 2 years 1 shaft seal failure after a 3 month shut down
Sequence 1000 series 6-8 running from 1.5-2.5 years never a failure, one even ran dry overnight during a sump break mishap

oops posted before the poll options "min 3 years" I guess I'll not vote but leave the input .....

Last edited:
I thought mine was a dolphin amp master 3000. Are those two different pumps?

Anyway, it has been running for 1.5 years on my tank problem free with half assed routine maintenance :rolleyes: and I got it used.

~Flighty~ said:
I thought mine was a dolphin amp master 3000. Are those two different pumps?

Anyway, it has been running for 1.5 years on my tank problem free with half assed routine maintenance :rolleyes: and I got it used.
I think dolphin makes the amp master line, but they also have other lines.

Little giant 3MDQ-SC running about 3 years, only cleaned about once a year. I accidentilly broke the volute a few weeks ago and need to replace it but still works.

I bought a used PanWorld 150ps about a year ago and it had been running for quite a while before that according to the previous owner. No problems with that one either.

I had a iwaki wmd40 pressure pump. lasted about 7 years until it developed an intolerable bearing noise.

I also had a mak 4 die after about 4 years, bearings almost completely froze.

I have almost 3 yrs (maybe closer to 2 yrs, not 100% sure)on a panworld with no problems.

Iwaki 70 barely needs a cleaning during the 2.5 years it's been running
Genx PCX30 needs a cleaning after 7 months I think
Iwaki 30 ran without a problem for 2 years

It might also be interesting to have a poll with the same pumps, but which have failed in three or less years. Otherwise, it may just be a poll of pump popularity.

Gen-x PCX40 running about 2 1/2 years and have not touched it. The only time I turn it off is when I do a water change then turn it right back on. Never cleaned it.

>It might also be interesting to have a poll with the same pumps, but which have failed in three or less years. Otherwise, it may just be a poll of pump popularity<

Yup, I considered this. However, I also know (some my personal experience, some not) of some failures of pumps that are getting very few votes. Dolphin (2), Blue Line, Little Giant.

Back