Filter for water change?

MichaelJ

Reefer
BRS Member
Does anyone run saltwater through a filter when you do a water change to your tank? I’m not talking top off.

Does anyone run saltwater through a filter when you do a water change to your tank? I’m not talking top off.
As in, a filter sock? Or other mechanical means? I don't do water changes very often if at all unless there's a present issue that I can't handle. I do syphon detritus out of my bare bottom system through a 1 micron filter sock before returning the water back to my sump.

As in, a filter sock? Or other mechanical means? I don't do water changes very often if at all unless there's a present issue that I can't handle. I do syphon detritus out of my bare bottom system through a 1 micron filter sock before returning the water back to my sump.
I saw a video on BRS ( Bulk Reef Supply) and they talked about having a resin filter, your saltwater would go through that then to your tank when you do like a 10 or 20% water change. Looked like the resin filter on a RODI

Last edited:
I saw a video on BRS ( Bulk Reef Supply) and they talked about having a resin filter, your saltwater would go through that then to your tank when you do like a 10 or 20% water change. Looked like the resin filter on a RODI
you need to get a ro canister and a sediment filter but this method works only if you do water change daily so it run a small amount of water through the filter. but if you change like 20g or more its going to take awhile because it run through 1/4" ro tube only. you can try to run it through 1/2" but then i dont think it will help much. this just to make sure no large particles goes into your tank beside new saltwater nothing else. brs show this just another way making sure you spend more money on them.

you need to get a ro canister and a sediment filter but this method works only if you do water change daily so it run a small amount of water through the filter. but if you change like 20g or more its going to take awhile because it run through 1/4" ro tube only. you can try to run it through 1/2" but then i dont think it will help much. this just to make sure no large particles goes into your tank beside new saltwater nothing else. brs show this just another way making sure you spend more money on them.
So it would probably only be worth it if your using sub standard salt, or not mixing the salt good enough. 20 gallons would take a little going through a 1/4” tube. Thank you for the input

So it would probably only be worth it if your using sub standard salt, or not mixing the salt good enough. 20 gallons would take a little going through a 1/4” tube. Thank you for the input
yes for example if you use reef crystal and they have a big gunk in your bin and you don't want any of those in your tank then you run that through a sediment filter and then into your tank. But even ryan from brs said those it doesn't affect anything in your tank so that's why not many people use it for water change.

Back