Filter recommendation on 55gal

sothardw

Non-member
I have a buddy intent on getting a 55 gal tank. He says that he doesn't need to get a new filter. He is currently running a HOB Whisper filter for a 40 to 60 gal tank.

I told him he would prob have to go with a canister or another large filter.

What do you all think he should do?

I have a 55g and run a aquaclear HOB up to 75g and have a 2" LS bed and 60 lbs of LR and all my parameters are great!!

I'm a newbie, but from what I've read if you have your tank cycle correctly then your biological filter (LR and LS) will do the filtering. He wouldn't need a filter except for a protein skimmer.

depends on the setup he's running. I would use some live rock and a powerhead then ditch the hang on filter

I told him he needed a powerhead to get good flow in the tank. All he has right now in his 30 gallon is 2" of live sand and no live rock.
He planned on gettin more live sand... just doesn't have the money he says for getting the live rock, stand, tank, and all that crap all at once. So he wouldn't have any live rock in the tank... only the sand.

definitely look into a protein skimmer. whisper filter is not going to do much... you definately need a skimmer

I only keep my hob filter for water circulation and occational carbon filtering. I don't use any biowheels or catridges as they can be nitrate factories, liverock and sand should be quite sufficient

Back