fish/inverts for a fluval edge? (6g) (heater suggestion also)

MPevine11

my own mini ocean
i just got a fluval edge. i bellive its 6 gallons or maybe 6.5 gallons?

but anyways just looking to stock it.

looking for actractive fish/inverts i can keep happily.
prefferbally something that wont hide and thats colorfull

as for inverts
something that will clean up nicely, and fun to watch (if theres anything like his for a 6gallon)

Also what heater to use for a tank this small? i have the fluval edge heater and have good reviews and bad reviews for it........just looking for something i can have a piece of mind with......

any advice is great
-mike Pevine-

a cool invert would be a fire shrimp or cleaner shrimp. a good fish would be any type of goby, my favorites being a yasha hase or a randalls.

ha well no lemon peal angels ok. i would do like a Dracula goby and a cleaner shrimp,with some soft corals. also idk if you can do it with the edge but i would plum it to a sump

ha well no lemon peal angels ok. i would do like a Dracula goby and a cleaner shrimp,with some soft corals. also idk if you can do it with the edge but i would plum it to a sump

haha deff no angles ( i came across that video looking for lighting mods )
can you keep gobbies in pairs? i enjoy fish that swim with eachother.

also what would the max # of fish? 2?

i will probaly go with a cleaner shrimp......

also what are some examples of soft corals?

and can i cycle useing water from my 29 hqi biocube?
this is my plan
getting a 5lb bag of sand (maybe black white mix?)
useing 1 rock from my 29 hqi biocube ( i like how it looks) then buyig some from llocal pet store
and water from my already set up tank

would this still need to cycle or will it be kind of instant useing water from my exsing tank?

thanks
-mike-

also what heater would you guys recomend? something small but realiable

You could probably get away with maybe even 3 very small fish, or one bigger fish. It really depends on what kind of fish you're looking to get. If you throw out a few names, we'd probably be able to tell you how many you should keep :)

Soft corals are things like Mushrooms, Zoa's, Kenya tree's, gorgonians, leather's, etc etc. Just corals that dont have a calcium skeleton and are...well...soft :p

No help on the heater, sorry:(

I would recommend you sticking just to the 29 and spend you're time on that. 6 gallons is just too small for any fish in my opinion. Some softies are zoas rics leathers. Go on a coral store on line and browse through the softie section. A softie is something that retracts inside of itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcyonacea

Last edited:
I have seen an edge with just a pair of harlequin shrimp in it..... looked cool

love those but dont you need to feed them starfish?

You could probably get away with maybe even 3 very small fish, or one bigger fish. It really depends on what kind of fish you're looking to get. If you throw out a few names, we'd probably be able to tell you how many you should keep

Soft corals are things like Mushrooms, Zoa's, Kenya tree's, gorgonians, leather's, etc etc. Just corals that dont have a calcium skeleton and are...well...soft

No help on the heater, sorry

not sure what kind of fish...

i guess the Question is: what would you guys stock?

I would recommend you sticking just to the 29 and spend you're time on that. 6 gallons is just too small for any fish in my opinion. Some softies are zoas rics leathers. Go on a coral store on line and browse through the softie section. A softie is something that retracts inside of itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcyonacea

for now im working on the edge i just got from a member here because i am waiting for my sump/fuge to come in, it should be done around the 20th :D very excited. then i plan to get corals for my biocube hqi.

but with the edge beging like 6 gallons i think itd be easy to get that going (no corals for a while just rock sand and fish)

i just love the tank very styleish and looks great.

I dont think harlequin shrimp would be a good idea in such a small tank because they are very dirty eaters. Its not uncommon for them to abandon a dead or dying starfish in the rock work where it will rot. They are also very expensive to feed.

I have a 5.5 gal and I am currently debating adding one fish to my set up. If you are planning on going just softies, the extra bioload will probably be ok. If you are planning on getting picky lps and SPS, you may find it very difficult to keep your levels in check with a fish in such a small tank.

Fish that I would recommend for a tank that size would be neon gobies, trimma gobies, greenbanded gobies, or a clown goby. IMO anything that free swims is too large for such a small tank.

Last edited:

1.) trimma gobies are pretty neat. you could probably keep at least 3 of them in there.

2.) has already been addressed

3.) i have a 50 watt wal-mart heater that is preset. it seems to work pretty well for my 12 gallon. how many watts i the one that comes with the tank?

1.) trimma gobies are pretty neat. you could probably keep at least 3 of them in there.

2.) has already been addressed

3.) i have a 50 watt wal-mart heater that is preset. it seems to work pretty well for my 12 gallon. how many watts i the one that comes with the tank?

its 25 watts.

im thinking about getting the Fluval E50 watt for it....?

well i would just stick with the 25 watt heater. if it gets stuck on it won't cook your tank as fast as a 50 watt that could get stuck on too.

^+1 a baby watchman goby may be cool for that tank as well I would look into blennys though if it were me... What about a clam???? what can you do for light mods as far as a halide goes????? if you can get it so that you can put a halide on it you could do a few clams in there as well IMO clams are cool I just dont have the light for one anymore I dont think.

^+1 a baby watchman goby may be cool for that tank as well I would look into blennys though if it were me... What about a clam???? what can you do for light mods as far as a halide goes????? if you can get it so that you can put a halide on it you could do a few clams in there as well IMO clams are cool I just dont have the light for one anymore I dont think.

i plan for clams in my biocube HQI.......

im putting a led fixture in it (ill find the link for it) i forget the name

what kind of blennys? they are great to watch :)

you could definitely put some sexy shrimp in this tank. they can vanish in larger tanks but smaller tanks are perfect for them to be seen. they are really cool little shrimp.they do best in odd numbered groups of 3 from what i've read on them. you could easily put 3 in there and possible even 9 of them. i've read 1 per gallon is good.

Back