Fish sleep?

Hey David!
Been a while since I've seen a post from you.
How are things going?

To give you my opinion on the question at hand...
Down in the tropics, the reefs generally get 12 hours of sunlight and 12 hours of night. I'd try and stick to that schedule. It'd be real cool if one could simulate dawn, noon, dusk, then darkness the way things change on the reef.

I think the lighted hours are quite a bit less than 12 because light reflects off of the ocean until it reaches a certain angle.

Right? or am I making that up?

Thanks Moe! Things are going well. I have been watching the board just not posting much. :) I was just interested in sleep as mine go to bed at about 10-11pm now and light starts shining in enough to wake them up at about...8 am.
:)

My lights also go off around 11pm. However, I find that my wrasses are still asleep around 8am even though there is light in the room. I think some fish my require more sleep than others. I find wrasses to be sleepy heads. :) I've also wondered if fish suffer from jet lag. I got a new wrasse a few weeks ago and the first few days it slept most of the time - only up and out of the sand for a few hours a day and then back to bed. Perhaps it was just the stress or perhaps it was jet lag? Just a silly thought.

SherryQ said:
My lights also go off around 11pm. However, I find that my wrasses are still asleep around 8am even though there is light in the room.
they wont get up until day time(lights on),moon light on the reef can get bright so a light on in a room shouldnt get anything up.

~Flighty~ said:
I think the lighted hours are quite a bit less than 12 because light reflects off of the ocean until it reaches a certain angle.
most reef's are around the equator 12 sun 12 dark give or take,i dont think the sun would have a problem shining through the ocean, when it come's up over the horizon it penetrate's...

NateHanson said:
Ever notice that clowns are insomniacs? Always pacing.
do they sleep?
i usually get to bed around 2am and the clown is still up,i get up at 7am and he's doing the same thing...

Back